Don’t you just love those recipes that you tell your family that you’re making for dinner, and every single one of their eyes light up? These Southwestern Egg Rolls are that dish for us. Every single member of my family goes crazy for these – even my picky 2 year old.
They are packed full of hearty ingredients, and then baked off for a wonderfully crispy crust. I always serve these with my Cilantro Cream Sauce because the 2 flavors are just destined for each other. You can eat them by themselves, or with ranch too – but I’m tell you. If you don’t serve them with the cilantro cream sauce, you’re really missing out!
You simply saute all the ingredients in a large pan for your eggroll stuffing pleasure.
I love how colorful the mixture is after the fresh spinach has been added. Don’t you?
Then you simply roll the ingredients up in a taco sized flour tortilla, give it a nice brushing of olive oil, and bake it them off in the oven until crispy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts – diced
- 1 medium-large onion, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14.5)oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2.5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 jalapenos, seeded & minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 10 taco sized flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium. Add in the chicken, season with salt & pepper to taste, & saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the diced onions & cook until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the spices, jalapeno, black beans, corn, & baby spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat, and stir in the pepper jack cheese.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of filling into the center of each taco sized flour tortilla, and roll up like a burrito. Brush each side with a good coating of olive oil, and place in a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crispy.
- Serve with Cilantro Cream Sauce, if desired.