Is it getting cold where you live? It sure is starting to get chilly here. As someone who lives in the South, I consider anything below 60 degrees COLD! Once Winter comes & it gets super cold, I like to go into hibernation.
To help warm up my bones – and because I plum just love any & all potato dishes, I decided to make a bit pot of Loaded Baked Potato Soup. I came up with the one a few years ago with ingredients that I had on hand, and it just stuck. It is husband & kid approved, and I really enjoy it myself ~
Here is what you need:
- 8 medium to large baked potatoes
- 1/2 cup – 2/3 cup bacon grease (from frying bacon)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked bacon, crumbled (reserving 2 tablespoons bacon grease!)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 heaping cup sour cream
- Scoop out the inside of the potatoes and set aside. Reserve the skins for another recipe or discard.
- Stir the flour into the bacon grease to make a roux. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring until all the milk has been added. Bring heat to medium and keep stirring until the soup mixture starts to get thick.
- Add the potatoes, green onions, salt, ground black pepper, bacon, cheese, & sour cream.. Stir well . Serve immediately.