Wow, 2010 surely has flown on by! Once I finally remember to write the correct year on my checks, it changes again. I wonder how far into 2011 we will be before I get it right this time?
Along with the new year comes the start of the Pantry Challenge. I’m perhaps a little more excited about it than I should be, but I’m going with it.
My goals for this challenge are:
- Spend less than $100 on groceries/household supplies each week for my family of 5
- Completely clear out my freezer
- Use up as many products as possible that are currently in my pantry
- Eat more ‘pantry’ recipes & teach myself plus my family that there is something to eat in the house when everyone says there isn’t!
Julie, an online friend of mine, posted a picture of an Asparagus Wrap recipe she had tried that was originally from a Paula Deen magazine – and it looked so good, and unique. Since I have embarked on this pantry challenge & had the majority of the necessary ingredients on hand to make it, I gave it a shot.
The recipe she gave me called for steamed asparagus & Swiss cheese – but I sauteed the asparagus in a teaspoon of bacon grease & subbed an Italian cheese blend for the Swiss. I’m sure the Swiss would have been grand, but I’m trying to stick with the challenge plan & use what I already have on hand. (Hey, grand – plan – hand… I kinda rhymed!)
The result was fabulous, & I will definitely make it again & again!
Asparagus Bacon Wraps
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tube crescent rolls
- 8 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound crumbled bacon (I reserved the grease to saute the asparagus in, but you can steam it if you’d like)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup shredded white cheese, such as Swiss, Italian Blend, or Mozzarella
- Olive Oil
- Poppy Seeds