Have you seen the muffin man? Well, which way did he go? He just stole my apple pie muffins!! Wait, that wasn’t the muffin man! It was my husband, & I am pretty sure he had two adorable little girls as his helpers! Looks like I need to whip up some more, huh?
Ok, let’s prepare the batter ingredients.
Beat the flour, egg, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, & brown sugar until well combined.
Stir in the diced apples.
Now, lets assemble the ingredients for the strudel topping.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Stir the strudel topping together using a fork.
Sprinkle generously with the topping.
Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
These are also really good with pears, or a mixture of pears & apples. They have such a wonderful ‘pie’ flavor to them either way you decide to do it!
- 2¼ cups self rising flour (or all purpose flour+1 tsp baking soda & ½ tsp salt)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups packed brown sugar
- 2.5 cups apples, peeled & diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine 2¼ cups flour, baking soda, & salt (or use self rising flour).Beat in the egg, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla and 1½ cups of brown sugar until well combined. Stir in the diced apples. Stir just until everything is blended. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin, filling the cups to the top.
- In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup of brown sugar, ⅓ cup flour, cinnamon, & melted butter.. Sprinkle this over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed.