Garlic, onion, & cheddar cheese – mixed with shredded zucchini to make the BEST Zucchini Pancakes you’ve ever had. I like to top mine with sour cream & green onions – so good!
Do y’all have veggie gardens? I have one every year, and I just love going out in the backyard & picking the fresh vegetables that have grown. Right now, our squash & zucchini are in growth overload. Those little squash & zucchini blossoms are turning into machine guns when I’m not looking and pow-pow-pow-pow – squash & zucchini are just firing out. Now, if I could get that on video – I’d most definitely the most popular viral video ever. 😉
With all these yummy goodness popping out of my garden in record numbers, I’ve been doing all sorts of things with them. One of the newest ways I’ve been using up my fresh zucchini has quickly become a favorite recipe of mine, & my entire family. These Garlic & Onion Savory Zucchini Pancakes are so delicious, even my 5 year old can’t get enough of them & wolfs them down.
These are delicious all by themselves, my 5 year old eats them plain & seriously can’t get enough of them. The rest of my family & I top these with sour cream & diced green onions; it’s definitely our favorite way to eat them. However, ranch dressing is a close second.
They are quite easy to make. I can literally make a batch of these in 15 minutes flat, and that includes mixing time. The ingredients needed are minimal, and you may even have everything on hand to make these already because what goes into them are all very basic ingredients that many of us keep in our kitchens as it is.
I am SO in love with this recipe, and I’m pretty sure you will be too.
Here’s what you need:
If you want to spice it up, you can easily add some minced jalapeño and/or hot sauce to kick it up a little.
You’ll want to peel & grate 2 cups of zucchini, which breaks down to 1 to 2 zucchinis depending on the size. Wrap them in a layer of paper towels and give a few squeezes to rid the zucchini of extra moisture. They don’t need to be completely dry.
In a bowl, combine the shredded zucchini, 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, a few cloves of minced garlic, 1 small onion that has been minced, and salt & pepper to taste. If you’re spicing it up a little with minced jalapeño and/or hot sauce, add that now too.
Stir in 3 eggs & 1 3/4 cups of biscuit making mix (like Bisquick – you can also make your own).
Pour enough oil in the bottom of a skillet or griddle to cover the bottom. Heat on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the zucchini pancake mixture in about a 1/2 cup at a time, or more or less depending on how big you want them. Cook until the pancakes are browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side – adding more oil if/when needed. Drain on paper towels or a wire rack over a baking sheet; season with salt to taste while the cakes are still hot.
Serve by themselves, or top with my favorite – sour cream & diced green onions. Ranch dressing is also good.
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (excess moisture squeezed out with paper towels, but doesn't have to be completely dry - just the excess removed)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons of minced garlic (you can also use 1.5 tablespoons garlic powder)
- minced jalapeños and/or hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1¾ cups bisquick
- vegetable oil to cover bottom of pan or griddle
- salt & pepper to taste
- sour cream & green onions to top (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, cheese, onion, garlic, jalapenos/hot sauce if using, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir in the eggs & bisquick.
- Pour enough oil in a skillet or griddle to cover the bottom & heat on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, scoop the batter into the pan in ½ cup size portions (or use less or more depending on how big or small you'd like your pancakes to be).
- Cook until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels or a wire rack over a baking sheet. Season with salt to taste while still hot.
- Serve by themselves or top with sour cream & green onions - or serve alongside ranch dressing.