Italian Pepperoncini Shredded Beef on Onion Rolls
I made a trip out to the store earlier & found an awesome deal on Sirloin Tip Roast. I have been craving some Italian Pepperoncini Beef Sandwiches for a while now, so I immediately picked out a nice roast, & went to check out – hurrying home so I would have time for it to slow cook. I adore these sandwiches, and so does everyone else that has tried them. Every time I prepare these, my oldest daughter exclaims ‘Now, that’s a sandwich!’. Gotta love her! And, you just gotta love these!!
For the Italian Pepperoncini Shredded Beef, you will need 1 (2lb) Sirloin Tip Roast, 1 cup of beef broth, 1 (16oz) jar of pepperoncini, 1/4 cup of Italian dressing, & my recipe for Italian Spice blend. The Italian Spice blend consists of 2 tbsp garlic powder, 2 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp sugar, 4 tbsp Italian Herbs, 1 tsp celery salt, 1 tsp black pepper, & 2 tbsp salt.
Pour in the juice from the jar of pepperoncinis & 1/4 cup of Italian Salad Dressing. Pull off – or cut off -the stems of the peppers & add those in the mix as well.
Put the sauteed onions to the side while we work on the dough. I use my bread maker for this because it makes the job much easier. Place 3/4 cup warm milk, 1/4 cup warm water, 4 tablespoons melted butter, 2 tsp salt, 3 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1/4 cup ground oats, reserved sauteed onions, 3 cups of all purpose flour, & 1 (.25oz) packet of yeast into the pan of your bread maker in the order suggested by the manufacturer. I have the ingredients listed in the order that I put them in mine (a Sunbeam bread machine).
After the dough has risen – slice up a medium onion & saute until nice & browned.
Combine 1 egg white with 1 tbsp of water – brush on top of the risen rolls. Then top with the sauteed onions.
Bake for 15-20 minutes at in a 325 degree oven. Remove & let cool before slicing in half.
When you are ready to serve these awesome sandwiches, slice open the rolls & top with the shredded meat & a couple slices of white cheese. I have used Monterrey Jack, Provolone, & Swiss – and they are all delightful. I also saute up another large onion to go on top of the meat.
Serve it by itself, or along side a bowl of the Au Jus. Either way, this is delish!
- For the shredded beef:
- 1 (2 pound) boneless sirloin tip roast, seared on each side
- Italian Spice Blend (recipe below)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pepperoncini, undrained
- For the Italian Spice Blend:
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 tablespoons Italian Herbs (Italian Seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons salt
- For the Onion Sandwich Rolls:
- ¾ cup lukewarm milk
- 5 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 large onions, (1 diced & 1 sliced) sauteed - and divided
- ¼ cup oats
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the milk, water, butter, salt, sugar, onion powder, diced sauteed onion, oats, flour and yeast into the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the Dough cycle, and press Start.
- When the cycle has completed, remove the dough from the machine & cut into 8 equal pieces, and form into balls or oblong hoagies. Place on a baking sheet, and cover loosely with a towel. Set in a draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (175 degrees C). Whisk together the egg white and water in a cup. Brush over the tops of the risen rolls, and sprinkle with remaining sliced sauteed onion.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool completely, then slice in half horizontally before using.
- For the beef:
- Place roast in slow cooker. Combine the Italian Spice Blend & beef broth; pour over roast & add in the pepperonicis.. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; shred with a fork and return to slow cooker.
- Pile on sliced Onion Rolls & top with sliced white cheese, sauteed onions, and pepperoncini from the slowcooker if you wish.