I created this recipe some years ago, and they are my favorite enchiladas by far. And, I’m not alone in that group. Everyone that has ever came to my house & had these have raved about how delicious they are. This is also my brother in law’s favorite meal – ever. Each time he comes to visit us, he calls several times before he is scheduled to arrive just to remind me to get the ingredients to make it.
The most beautiful thing about this dish is the meat inside. It’s my Mexican Style Meat, and if you’ve been following along with me for a while, then you know that I use this meat for a wide variety of dishes. While these enchiladas are my number 1 thing to make with it, you’ve got to check out the original post on the meat for more craveable ideas to use it in. I usually make up a large batch of it & divvy it out for several different meals. It freezes beautifully so I love to put some back for future use.
You really can’t get much simpler than these. The Mexican style meat cooks in the crockpot & you can choose whether you want to have beef or chicken. In the pictures, I’ve used beef – but I use chicken just as much as I use beef. Whatever is on sale at the time is what I use, and it’s equally good with either one. With the exception of the cheese – it’s the only filling for these.
The sauce is super simple too. Of course, you can buy the store-bought enchilada sauce if you’re really in a pinch for time – but like with anything else, homemade is so much tastier.
I’ve noticed that in so many recipes, they only put cheese on top of the enchiladas and rarely ever inside of them. I don’t get that. Don’t you people love cheese? I know I do. I crave cheese. When I go to the fancy restaurants & the waiter comes around with the fresh cheese grater, I often get funny looks as I don’t tell them ‘when’ until I’ve literally got a cheese mountain sitting on top of my food.
You definitely don’t have to worry about any lack of cheese here. There is cheese inside as well as on the top. I mean, look at the pictures & see for yourself.
Have I mentioned that I love cheese?
You must not wait any longer to make these. You’ve got to
inhale try them. You’re life will not be complete until you have a plate of these before you.
- 1 recipe Mexican Style Meat
- 3-3.5 cups shredded Pepper Jack or Mont. Jack cheese
- 10-12 flour tortillas, burrito size
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup minced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (4oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- a few splashes of hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Saute the onions until soft & translucent. Add the garlic & saute for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, & hot sauce (if using). Cook on medium/low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour a little bit of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan, just enough to cover the bottom. Lay out the flour tortillas & spoon in a few heaping spoonfuls of the Mexican Style Meat. Then spoon in a couple heaping spoonfuls of shredded cheese, to your liking. Roll like a burrito & place in the baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are used.
- Cover completely with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.