Yesterday, I told ya’ll how I stocked up on sweet potatoes with them being so cheap right now, and posted the recipe for Sweet Potato Bread. When I baked the potatoes for the bread, I threw a couple more in the oven to prepare for the cheesecake I was going to bake today.
Yes, you heard me right – I’m baking a cheesecake with sweet potatoes! Then, I’m topping if off with a perfect pecan topping! This cheesecake is luscious & delicious (deluscious?) – and the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving feast.
Here is what you need.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the 10 graham crackers (large rectangles) in a food processor & pulse until you get crumbs.
Melt half of the stick of butter, & pour it into the crumbs – along with 1/4 cup of sugar. Mix it all together, and press into a 9″ or 10″ springform pan. (I use a 10″)
Bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, cream cheese, scant cup of sugar (little less than a cup), 1/4 cup cream, & sour cream. Beat until smooth.
Beat in one egg at a time, until all 3 eggs have been combined & the mixture is creamy.
Your graham cracker crust should be done now, so scoop the cheesecake filling into it – and spread evenly.
Bake for 70 minutes on 350, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Turn off the oven, & let the cheesecake sit in there with the oven door ajar for an hour.
Now, it’s time to make the pecan topping. In a small saucepan on low heat, stir together 1/4 cup of butter & the brown sugar, until the sugar is dissolved. Turn up the heat a little, and bring to a boil.
Whisk in 1/4 cup of cream…
Then mix in the pecans.
Pour the hot topping on top of the cheesecake, & refrigerate.
Once the topping is set, you can remove it from the springform pan.
- 10 graham crackers, pulsed into crumbs
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1.5 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 scant cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C ). Mix together graham cracker crumbs, ¼ cup sugar, and ¼ cup melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9½ inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Transfer 1½ cups of sweet potato puree to a large bowl. Add cream cheese, scant cup of sugar, sour cream and ¼ cup cream; beat until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, blending well after each until creamy. Pour filling into crust.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean- about 70 minutes. Turn off the oven. Let cake stand 1 hour in oven with door ajar.
- Combine brown sugar and ¼ cup butter in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat, and bring to a boil. Mix in ¼ cup cream, then nuts. Pour hot topping over cheesecake. Refrigerate.