Long ago, my whole family fell in love with this prosciutto pizza (excuse the photographs in that old post, remember I said ‘long ago’ – right?). The balance of the sweet & salty is mouth watering. Like, literally – my mouth waters when thinking about it. I decided to bump it up a notch last year with some fresh asparagus, & we’ve never looked back. When my kids hear that this is on the menu, instant cheers erupt – even from my 5 year old! Now, when something has got asparagus as the main ingredient & your super duper picky 5 year old wants to eat it voluntarily & without a meltdown… well then, you know you’ve got a winning recipe.
Sometime I use a premade pizza dough – and sometimes I make my own dough. Obviously, handmade pizza crust is gonna taste better… but sometimes we’re cinched on time… and in that case, premade pizza dough jumps in the lead. 😉
- pizza dough - premade or homemade
- 1 whole large onion, sliced into half rings
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- salt & pepper
- shredded Parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1.5 cups of shredded Mozzarella cheese, plus ¼ cup more
- 8 slices prosciutto (or more to taste)
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- olive oil, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you're using raw pizza dough, precook it according to the package directions for 5 minutes. If you're using cooked dough, skip this step.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add the sliced onion. Season with salt & pepper. Cook, on medium-high heat, for about 7-10 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned & caramelized. Stir in ¼ cup brown sugar. Cook on medium heat & cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat. In a small skillet, cook the chopped asparagus in a little bit of olive oil on medium high heat for about 3-5 minutes, until partially cooked but still crispy.
- Now, over to the pizza crust. Drizzle on olive oil, sprinkle on a little salt, followed by a little Parmesan (grated or shredded).
- Spread the mozzarella evenly over the top of the crust. Arrange caramelized onions over the top of the mozzarella. Lay slices of the prosciutto over the onions along with the asparagus. Sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes in the oven, or until the bottom of the crust is golden brown, being careful not to cook for too long. If you're using a precooked crust, cook according to the package instructions. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, and slice. Serve immediately.