Country Style Baked Beans
Servings: 1 9x13 casserole dish full
- 10 slices bacon or more if you wanna - I won't judge! You can use less too if bacon ain't your thing
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos minced - remove the seeds if you don't want the heat
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans 15 oz mixed beans (pinto & great northern, drained & rinsed)
- 1 can 15 oz baked beans
- 1 can 15 oz red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- salt to taste
- during the summer I'll add a couple chopped banana peppers from my garden. Totally optional but tastes so good if you have them!
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon on medium high heat until crispy. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain; crumble & set aside. Drain half the bacon grease & add the onion to the skillet. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until it just begins to caramelize. Add the jalapeño, garlic, & optional chopped banana pepper. Stir well & cook for another minute or two.
In a large bowl, combine half the bacon with the sautéed onion mixture. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except for the 5 pieces of reserved bacon). Pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with foil & bake for one hour. Uncover, sprinkle with bacon, & cook for an additional 10 minutes.