Bacon & Corn Casserole
My kids are on a summer vacation with my parents right now, as they do every year… so I’m completely kid-less at the moment. I like being kid-less… for all of about 3 hours. Then I start to miss the dickens out of them! Even the teenagers! 😉
I’m going to totally suck at having an empty nest. I will either turn into a crazy cat lady (I’ve got 4 cats already so it won’t take much to push me over the edge!) or I’ll be one of those moms continually asking their grown kids when they’re going to start bringing home grandbabies. Heck, I may even do both.
I decided that this summer I was going to try and combat the whole missing-the-kiddos-syndrome by taking a week’s worth of day trips. I literally had a whole week’s worth of day trips to take written out on a piece of paper, and I had every intention of hitting them all. I went to Asheville, Raleigh, the beach…. Wait, that’s only 3 day’s worth! That’s because by the end of the 3rd day of doing all that driving, my body quickly reminded me I wasn’t 16 any longer.
So, what did I spend my last 4 days of my little vacation doing? Sleeping til 10am – that’s what. And I must admit, sleeping til 10am was just as enjoyable as the beach. I didn’t even get sunburned or have to walk around in a swimsuit in front of a bunch of strangers. That’s a win in my book.
Sleeping in past 10am & then lounging on the couch in your jammies eating Bacon & Corn Casserole while watching Criminal Minds reruns…. now that’s an epic vacation right there.
This Bacon & Corn Casserole is perfect for a side dish or a main dish. It’s delicious and addictive – and well, just make it. You’ll see how fantastic it is.
Here’s what you need:
In a large skillet, melt a couple tablespoons of butter. Saute 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (such as Vidalia) & 1 bell pepper, chopped – on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
Season with salt & pepper.
Add in 2 8oz packages of cream cheese & turn off the heat. Stir it around until the cream cheese is melted & combined with the onions and peppers.
I was obviously already getting really excited about this dish because I was shaky taking this picture. Or, at least, that’s my excuse. 😉
In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese/onion/pepper mixture with 1 cup of sour cream, 48oz of frozen corn (or 3 16oz bags), & salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in 12oz of cooked, crumbled bacon.
Spread the mixture in a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with 1.5 cups of crushed cheese crackers, such as Cheez-Its. Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Bacon & Corn Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion such as Vidalia, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese room temp
- 1 cup sour cream
- 48 oz of frozen corn or 3 16oz packages
- 12 oz bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1.5 cups of cheese crackers such as Cheez Its, crushed
- chopped green onions to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Saute the chopped onions & peppers in the butter on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Add the cream cheese to the skillet & turn off the heat. Stir until the cream cheese is melted and everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the sour cream, frozen corn, & bacon. Spread the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with crushed cheese crackers & chopped green onions.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.