Vidalia Onion & Bacon Burger Bombs
I am a sucker for a good burger. I have driven out of the way on countless occasions to try one that was rated ‘the best’ by some entity or another. I know there’s many of you out there that’s like me on that – burger connoisseurs if you will. It’s the one food I seem to never tire of. Well, that & buttermilk biscuits.
There are certain ingredients that just make a burger. Cheese, obviously. Bacon. Sometimes chili. But always onions. And since it’s Vidalia onion season (typically runs from the middle of April through early September), you know that’s the only onion that I have on my brain. I’m kinda a sucker for them.
Literally, during Vidalia season – it’s the only onion I have on hand. You know, like the good Southern Belle that I am. 😉
I decided to take all the things I like in a burger & put them together in a new, fun way. A BURGER BOMB! They have a center of molten cheese… it’s wrapped in a layer of Vidalia onions, then wrapped in 2 layers of bacon, & then (yes there’s another then!) they are brushed with bbq sauce.
YOU GUYS!! These are SO flippin’ floppin’ good!
Ready to make them? You know you are. I see the drool dripping off your chin.
In a large bowl, combine 2 pounds ground chuck, 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 eggs, and salt & pepper to taste.
Chop of an 8oz block of colby jack cheese that has been frozen (yes, freeze it for an hour before you make these!) into 8 cubes.
Divide the beef into 8 balls & wrap one cube of cheese in the center of each ball of meat.
Shape the meat into a thick disc like shape. Slice a few Vidalia onions into half rounds. Using the top two layers of the onion, place one half of the outer layers of the onion on each side of the meat disc. Like so.
Now, wrap with one piece of bacon going one way – and wrap another piece of bacon going the other way. Secure with toothpicks.
Brush with bbq sauce.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. If you’d like the bacon crispier, sear the cooked burgers on each side of a hot skillet to crisp it up.
Serve on a bun & enjoy the heck outta it!
Vidalia Onion & Bacon Wrapped Burger Bombs
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz frozen colby jack sliced into equal cubes
- 1 pound bacon
- the 2 outer shells from 4 Vidalia Onions
- bbq sauce to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the ground chuck, breadcrumbs, eggs, garlic powder, salt, & pepper in a large bowl. Divide into 8 equal sized balls & stuff with a cube of frozen colby jack. Form into thick disc shapes, being careful to cover the cheese with meat. Wrap with 2 halves of the outer shell from the Vidalia & wrap in 2 pieces of bacon - the bacon should be wrapped with 1 piece wrapped vertically & the other wrapped around the burger horizontally. Refer to the pictures in the post for help. Secure with toothpicks & brush the bacon with bbq sauce.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. If the bacon is not crispy enough for your liking, cook the burger on each side in a hot skillet for about 1 minute each to crispen it up. Serve on a bun & enjoy!