Crispy Tuna Mac
Tuna & Rice Krispies? Really?
Yes, you read that right. Tuna & Rice Krispies. I know what you are thinking! EW! Correct? That’s what I thought too! I mean, that doesn’t exactly sound like an appetizing combination.
Somehow, it actually is though. I’m doing the pantry challenge, & I was down to NO meat in my freezer. I usually have a little stockpile in there, but not this time. I used most of my freezer meat stockpile in December as my budget has been pretty tight lately. So, I was looking through my pantry & noticed that I have quite a few cans of tuna that need to be used, not to mention boxed macaroni & cheese. So, to google I went & found this recipe for Tuna Casserole.
I was hesitant to make it, but decided all I could do was try it & see. I am very glad I did. It was really good! Which was a pleasant surprise b/c I honestly expected it to go to the dogs. Between the kids, husband, & myself – there was nothing left.
Interested? Just a tiny bit? Well, here is all you need.
Very few ingredients making it a great ‘Straight from the Pantry’ recipe.
Make the macaroni & cheese according to the box directions. Then stir in 1 can of drained tuna & 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup.
In a small skillet, saute 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 cup of slightly crushed Rice Krispies for about 3-5 minutes to lightly toast the cereal.
Scoop the macaroni/tuna mixture into a casserole dish. The original recipe did not call for cheese on top, nor did I include cheese in the ingredients photo, but I decided at this moment it needed some shredded cheddar on top! Then top with the toasted Rice Krispies.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until the Rice Krispies are nicely browned.
Don’t be afraid. Serve you up a helping. It is actually pretty darn good. I would make this even when I do have meat in my freezer!!
Crispy Tuna Mac
- 1 box macaroni and cheese
- 1 can light tuna packed in water - drained
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Shredded Cheddar cheese to taste
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to directions on box. When it is done, stir in the cream of chicken soup & can of drained tuna. Slightly crush the Rice Krispies. In a frying pan on low heat, saute Rice Krispies in butter for 3-5 minutes. Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into casserole and spread evenly. Sprinkle on shredded cheese & then top with Rice Krispies. Bake on 400 degrees until cereal topping turns golden brown, about 15 minutes.