This Whole30 meatloaf (paleo & keto too) is absolutely delicious. Topped with a homemade ketchup that’s sweetened with dates, so there’s no added sugar. It’s packed with flavor & is dairy free, grain free, & gluten free. Super simple to make too!
This meatloaf is my go-to family meal when I’m doing Whole30.
When you’re on Whole30, it can be difficult to find a complaint meal that not only will feed you, but that the rest of the family will also enjoy. Since meatloaf is a family favorite in my home, having a good meatloaf recipe that doesn’t break any of the rules was definitely a must have.
I tried a few recipes that I found online & ended up tweaking a couple & then combining them to make a Whole30 compliant (paleo & keto friendly too!) meatloaf that my whole family loved. I’m so excited to share that recipe with you today!
My traditional meatloaf recipe is delicious (I will get around to posting that recipe soon hopefully!), but contains a whole sleeve of crushed saltine crackers & a good bit of store-bought ketchup (which contains sugar). Both of those are big Whole30 no-nos.
Instead of crushed up saltine crackers, I use almond flour. And for the ketchup, I make my own in the food processor (it’s sooooo simple!) & sweeten it with medjool dates that have been soaked in water to soften them up. I mean, it’s no Heinz… it’s a different flavor & isn’t going to be like store-bought ketchup – but it is delicious. You can even spice it up a little with some chipotle powder if you want.
The leftovers are even better, as is usually the case with meatloaf. And when I’m doing Whole30, I love to have leftovers. It makes lunches so much easier.
Sometimes, I’ll take the leftover meatloaf and crumble it up along with some sautéed onions & mushrooms – and then stuff it into hollowed out zucchini & bake it til the zucchini is tender. Leftover Meatloaf Zucchini Boats 🙂 They’re really good too!
For the ketchup:
For the meatloaf:
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup homemade ketchup see recipe above
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder double if you like garlic a whole lot!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Prepare the homemade ketchup first. This can be done ahead of time. In a food processor or blender, puree all ketchup ingredients on high speed until smooth. Store in a mason jar or other container with tight fitting lid. It can be stored for 1-2 weeks.
- Preheat your oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine all the meatloaf ingredients. Mix with your hands until just combined. Press the meatloaf into a loaf pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven & spread the remaining homemade ketchup over top. Return to the oven & cook for an additional 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let the meatloaf rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!