Crock Pot Taco Chicken Chili
There are few things as delicious as homecooked meals, and this Crockpot Taco Chicken Chili is about as flavorful as flavorful can get! Loaded with tender chicken, bold spices, and savory black beans, this all-in-one dish is hearty and delish!
I love slow cooker chili, and this Crock Pot Taco Chicken Chili is a tasty twist on the classic. This slow cooker dump recipe is the best! Everything goes into the crock pot, then you set it and forget it until dinner time! What’s better than that?
This is also a super simple recipe. A few pantry staples, some chicken, and spices, and in a few hours, you’ve got dinner on the table. Top a heaping bowlful of this slow cooker taco chicken chili with some fresh cilantro and sour cream and just sit back and listen to the compliments!
Chicken Chili VS Beef Chili
Traditional chili is made with ground beef, or if you’re in Texas, chunks of stewing beef. No matter which side of the bean debate you’re on (do beans belong in chili?), adding beans adds texture, carbs, a bit of protein, a boost of fiber, and plenty of flavor. I love beef chili, don’t get me wrong, but this chicken chili recipe is such a nice departure from the original. And, the Tex-Mex spices turn this into a crave-worthy dish.
- Canned black beans – Drained and rinsed.
- Garlic cloves – Minced.
- Onion – Yellow or white onion; diced.
- Jalapeno peppers – Seeded and finely diced.
- Frozen corn niblets
- Canned tomato sauce – You want regular tomato sauce, not spaghetti sauce.
- Canned diced tomatoes – A 28-ounce can; undrained.
- Taco seasoning – Use your favorite blend.
- Chicken breast – Boneless and skinless.
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
- Cilantro – For garnishing; optional.
- Sour cream – For garnishing; optional.
How To Make The Best Crock Pot Taco Chicken Chili
- Add the drained and rinsed canned beans, minced garlic, diced onion, diced jalapenos, frozen corn niblets, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes to the bottom of your crock pot. Give it a good stir.
- Add the chicken breasts, then push them down into the sauce.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred them with forks 30 minutes before serving.
- Transfer the shredded chicken and any juices back to the crockpot and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Stir, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve! Garnish with chopped cilantro and sour cream if desired.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- Black beans are my favorite in this recipe, but any beans can work. Pinto beans, chick peas, whatever you have on hand.
- Don’t like it too spicy? Just use one jalapeno, and be sure to remove the seeds and the inner ribs.
- Want more spice? Use a serrano chili in place of one of the jalapenos – or both!
- You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe instead of chicken breasts.
- You can also use bone-in chicken, but you’ll have to pull the meat off the bone before you can shred it. Bone-in chicken tends to be more economical than boneless.
I love one-pot meals like this mostly because I don’t need to worry about a bunch of side dishes to go with it. This is a hearty meal that’s substantial enough to be a meal all on its own, or you can pair it with simple sides like a tossed salad. These Cracked Pepper Cheddar Muffins go fabulously with this meal, or just some chopped veggies and a great dip.
Store any leftover Crock Pot Taco Chicken Chili in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze leftovers. Package them in freezer-safe plastic bags or containers for up to a month. Reheat in the microwave and enjoy a flavor-packed meal!
Crockpot Taco Chicken Chili
- 2 16oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers seeded & finely diced
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cilantro optional
- Sour Cream optional
- Combine the first 8 ingredients together in a slowcooker. Top with the chicken breasts. Cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, remove the chicken breasts & shred with 2 forks. Stir the shredded chicken into the mixture in the crockpot. Cook for 30 minutes. Serve with cilantro and sour cream if desired.
More Delicious Crock Pot Recipes