MawMaw’s Salmon Patties
I love salmon patties. I always have. My MawMaw Light knew how much I loved them, and each time I’d go visit her as a girl – she’d always have a tinfoil pie plate sitting in her toaster oven waiting for me – filled to the brim with her homemade salmon patties, fried okra, & fried squash. The first thing I’d do when I got to her house was hug on her & my PawPaw Buddy, and then go straight to the kitchen to pull my waiting plate out to feast upon. In fact, I can’t remember a single time that I came to visit that I didn’t have a plate of her salmon patties, okra, & squash waiting for me. Oh, what a memory. A delicious memory at that!
MawMaw doesn’t do as much cooking anymore, but I will always have fond memories of those little tinfoil pie plates filled with some of my favorite foods waiting just for me. She gave me her recipe many years ago after I got married, and it’s the only way I make my salmon patties to this day.
I always keep salmon stocked in my pantry for this purpose. Having a can of salmon around makes getting a flavorful home-cooked meal on the table a breeze. Its homemade made easy!
Here’s what you need:
Take your can of salmon, and drain off the liquid in a colander.
You can toss out the liquid, or if you have any cats – they’ll love you forever if you give the juices to them. 🙂
See? It’s like the cats of the 4 corners (north, south, east, west) all in one spot over here….
Place the salmon in a bowl, and flake with a fork. Sometimes you may find a few small circular bones, just remove those & proceed as normal.
Squeeze the juice of one lemon on it, & give it a good dose of salt & pepper. Give it a good stir with your fork.
Now, add the rest of the ingredients to the mix.
Mix it all up, and shape into 6-8 patties.
Put enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom of a skillet & about 1/4″ or so up in the pan. Heat til hot, and put your salmon patties in. Fry on one side until the edges of them start to turn brown, like so. Then flip & cook til brown on the other side.
Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Serve plain, or with a sauce to dip in. I’ve eaten mine with plain ol’ ketchup ever since I was a kid – and that’s still what I like to eat mine with 🙂
MawMaw's Salmon Patties
- 1 14.5 oz can of Alaskan salmon drained
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sleeve original saltines crushed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion minced (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- vegetable oil to fry
- Using a fork, flake the can of drained salmon. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon & give it a good dose of salt & pepper. Stir. Add in the crushed saltines, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, minced onions (if using) & eggs. Stir til combined. Divide into 6-8 patties. Set aside.
- Heat enough oil to cover a large skillet's bottom ¼" deep. Fry the salmon patties on one side until the edges become brown, then flip & fry the other side until browned. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve by themselves, or with a dipping sauce of your choice. I've eaten mine with ketchup ever since I was a girl myself.