Sour Gummy Worm Cupcakes
I have two favorite kinds of candy. The first is chocolate, obviously. I’m a woman after all. My second favorite is any kind of candy that is sour. My 3 kids really share in that enjoyment of sour candies, especially my 3 year old son. In fact, if he gets to chose some candy for a treat – he usually goes straight for the sour gummy worms. Like mother, like son 😉
I thought the gummy worms would be super cute atop a cupcake, especially with Halloween right around the corner. Quite honestly, these would be perfect any time of year though! Instead of just popping the gummy worms on top, I decided to jazz it up a bit more… with a sour powder sprinkled on top & a cotton candy frosting. Interested yet? I promise you it’s super easy!
First, choose your cake. I decided to go with a Funfetti cake mix. Prepare as the package states, or give it more of a homemade taste by replacing the water with buttermilk & adding an extra egg like I do.
Bake according to package directions. Cool completely before frosting.
I chose to frost them with the Duncan Hines Flavor Creations in cotton candy. It was a great choice!
I also thought it would be nice to add an extra bit of a sour element on top. My first choice was to use pixie stick powder on top of the frosting, but believe it or not – I couldn’t find them anywhere! Is there some sort of pixie stick shortage going on or something? I finally gave up, and bought a box of sweet tarts instead – and ground them up into a powder with my food processor. It was delicious!
Frost the cupcakes with the cotton candy frosting – either through spreading it or piping it.
Sprinkle the frosted cupcakes with the tart powder (or pixie stick powder if you can find it). Arrange a few sour gummy worms on each one. Adorable, right?
Sour Gummy Worm Cupcakes
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix prepared according to the cupcake directions on the box
- 2 containers Duncan Hines frosting creations
- 2 packets of Cotton Candy Duncan Hines frosting creations flavoring powder
- Pixie sticks or sweet tarts that have been ground into a powder
- Sour gummy worms
- Prepare the cake mix according to the cupcake package directions. Bake, & cool completely.
- Whip together the Duncan Hines frosting with the flavor packets. Frost the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle the pixie stick powder on top, or if you can't find pixie sticks - grind up sweet tarts and use those instead. Decorate with sour gummy worms.