‘Squealing Pig’ BBQ Pork Nachos
These ‘Squealing Pig’ BBQ Pork Nachos are a remake of a meal I had at a local restaurant. They are beyond delicious! This recipe will become an instant favorite!
When I was 16 years old, I met my very best friend. We met at our local mall, & once we realized both of our first names were ‘Crystal’ & we were from the same tiny town – we decided that it had to be fate, and declared ourselves ‘best friends’ right there on the spot. True story! Fast forward the clock to present day, and she’s still my very best friend.
One of our favorite things to do when we get together is eat. We’ve been known to discuss how we want to get super fit with abs of steel while eating a big slice of chocolate cake. Yes, we know how contradictory that is! Sometimes I’ll cook & she’ll come over – and sometimes we’ll go out and grab something to eat. One of our latest outings led us to a restaurant in the downtown area of our small little town called ‘The Flying Pig‘. I’m sure the waiter was getting a little bit annoyed with us at first as we took forever to make our decision – but we finally decided upon their ‘Squealing Pig Nachos’ to share between us. My, oh my – what a wonderful decision that was! They were so good, and we completely stuffed our faces with them. I told her before we even left, “I’m so going home to recreate these’. Her response? ‘You better invite me over to taste test them!’. I did mention how we like to eat, right?
Well, recreate them I did – and I must confess, they’re even better than the ones we had at the restaurant! I used leftover Spicy Pop Pulled Pork to make them – using leftover shredded pork really made this super simple! You could make the spicy pop pulled pork for dinner one night, & then these nachos for another meal with the leftovers. OR – you could simply use your favorite recipe for pulled pork (leftover or fresh) & do the same thing. I must say though, the spicy pop pulled pork is mah-vah-lous!
Here’s how you pull it all together.
First, start warming up your pork if you’re using leftovers. I usually pop mine in a skillet & heat over low while I’m preparing the rest of the nacho components.
Slice up a few jalapenos, & fry them in a little bit of butter or olive oil – just until they are a little browned. Of course, if you don’t like spice at all, you can omit them – but if you do… I’m telling you, the jalapenos are a must!
Set the browned jalapenos aside.
Now let’s get this fabulous cheese sauce ready (which is the same homemade cheese sauce I use in my Super Nachos). Shred up a heaping 2 cups worth of pepperjack cheese. Set aside. Mont. jack cheese will work too.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan on medium. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Cook the flour/butter mixture for 1 minute, whisking often.
Whisk in 2 cups of milk.
When the milk begins to bubble, stir in 2 cups of shredded pepperjack (can sub Mont. Jack) cheese. Whisk to combine. Remove from the heat once it’s all melted & yummy.
We’re ready to plate! Lay out your favorite brand of tortilla chips on a large platter. Top with the warmed pulled pork.
Now, top with the cheese sauce & jalapenos.
Don’t they look good? I’m telling you – they taste even better than they look!
'Squealing Pig' BBQ Pork Nachos
- Leftover (or fresh) pulled pork, such as Spicy Pop Pulled Pork or your favorite recipe, warmed
- 2-4 jalapenos, sliced + a dab of butter or olive oil to fry
- 2 heaping cups of Pepper Jack or Mont. Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- one bag of tortilla chips
- Fry the sliced jalapenos in a little dab of butter or olive oil until lightly browned. Remove from the heat & set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the all purpose flour. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk bubbles. Once the milk is bubbling, stir in the shredded cheese until all combined – and sauce is thick & creamy. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the nachos by laying out the tortilla chips on a large platter. Top with the warmed pulled pork. Top with the cheese sauce & sliced jalapenos. Serve.