Milk & White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies
Milk & White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies are simple, festive, and absolutely delicious. These are the perfect Christmas cookie, and not only are they fun to make, but they make great gifts, too!
I LOVE these Milk & White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies. They’re pretty with all the colors in them, and they are so tasty! Y’all, if you only make one Christmas cookie this year, this is the one to make!
I posted a picture of these cranberry double chocolate chip cookies on Instagram, and someone replied that they’re also called hootycreek cookies! That’s a new one to me – but apparently, hootycreek refers to a cookie that has both white chocolate chips and cranberries in them. But this easy cookie recipe is one better – there are semisweet chocolate chips in them too!
I make these easy Christmas cookies with self-rising flour to save some measuring and ingredients, but check out my tips below if you don’t have self-rising flour.
These are great cookies to make with the kids, and if you need to make these nut-free white chocolate cranberry cookies, just leave out the nuts. Making these cookies always brings back fond memories – I hope you try them and make your own memories!
Self-Rising Flour VS All-Purpose Flour
What’s the difference between self-rising and AP flour? Well, self-rising flour already has leaveners in it plus a bit of salt. It is also generally made with a softer kind of flour which is great for baking and gives these cookies a really terrific texture.
- Butter – Softened.
- Shortening – At room temperature.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar.
- Brown sugar – Light brown sugar, packed.
- Vanilla extract – Pure or artificial vanilla works fine in this recipe.
- Self-rising flour – See my tips below if you want to use regular flour.
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Dried cranberries
- Pecans – Toasted and chopped.
How To Make Milk & White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 375-F degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and white and brown sugar until light and fluffy in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each egg. Then, add the vanilla and mix in, too.
- Add the flour and combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stir in the semisweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, cranberries, and pecans.
- Drop 1 tablespoon balls of dough about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Don’t have self-rising flour? Use the same amount of all-purpose flour but add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Turn off the mixer when adding the flour, then turn the mixer on slowly to avoid a flour shower.
- Want nut-free cranberry cookies? Skip the pecans! They add a lovely flavor and crunch, but the cookies will still be delicious without them.
- Fold the chocolate chips, cranberries, and pecans into the cookie dough with a spatula or wooden spoon to avoid crushing the chips or nuts.
- Parchment paper makes cleanup very easy but do NOT use waxed paper – waxed paper and parchment are NOT the same.
How Do You Know When Cookies Are Done?
It can be hard to tell when a cookie is fully cooked. With these double chocolate cranberry cookies, I look for golden brown edges and tops that have started to set up. Touch the top of the cookie lightly – if it springs back, it is cooked. If it is gooey or stays depressed if you push lightly, then they may need a bit more time.
I love these cookies! My family and guests also love these cookies, and I love sharing them at:
- Family gatherings
- School events – Make them without the pecans if you worry about allergies.
- Bake sales
- Holiday parties, events, and more!
You can store these tasty Milk & White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days, or freeze them in a resealable plastic bag and thaw them as needed.
Cranberry Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups self rising flour or sub 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, shortening, & both sugars until light & fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chips, cranberries and pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks.