Beer Battered Fried Green Tomatoes
These beer battered fried green tomatoes are surprisingly quick & easy to throw together. This is my FAVORITE fried green tomato recipe!
I love a good fried green tomato. I mean, I love them.
When I was a kid, my parents grew tomatoes (like I do today in my own back yard) and Mama would want to go pick the big green ones to make fried green tomatoes. Would want. Not would do. You see, Daddy didn’t exactly go for the whole fried green tomato thing. ‘It’s a waist of a beautiful tomato!’ He would say. And Mama would respond with ‘how is it a waste if we are going to eat it?!’ Well, Daddy seemed to win that battle more times than not. He’d give in but he’d want to be the one who picked the green tomato to be fried up. He didn’t like it if Mama took one of the big beauties to batter and fry. Those needed to be red.
Daddy would nick pick at me if he saw me take some of the big gorgeous tomatoes off while they’re still green and put them in my frying pan. Mama doesn’t cook as much anymore but her and Daddy still pick at each other about the green tomatoes.
You can make Fried Green Tomatoes several ways. It can be as simple as just dusting them in flour or cornmeal (or a mixture of the two) and frying them in a hot skillet of oil. That is most certainly the easiest way of doing it. But , when I have more time, I really enjoy them with a beer batter.
What ingredients do I need to make Beer Battered Fried Green Tomatoes?
It’s a relatively short ingredient list.
- All purpose flour
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Garlic powder
- Beer (a lighter one – I used Champion Brewery & Dukes Mayo’s collaboration ‘Family Recipe’)
- green tomatoes
- oil to fry in
How do I make them?
In a bowl, mix the flour, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, eggs, and beer. The mixture should resemble pancake batter.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Dip tomato slices in the batter to coat, then fry in the skillet 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels. Season with a little bit of salt as soon as it comes out of the hot oil.
Eat while hot.
How do I serve Fried Green Tomatoes?
They are good all on it’s own! They’re also super good with ranch dressing or a dipping sauce like Chipotle Ranch Sauce.
Serving them on a BLT sandwich is another delicious option to serve them. It’s like a regular BLT but better… just swap out a slice of fresh tomato for a slice or two of the fried green tomatoes.
This beer batter is also good on thick sliced onion rings – just saying!
I hope that you try out this recipe for Beer Battered Fried Green Tomatoes and love it as much as I do. If you make it, take a picture and share it with me by tagging it with #MrsHappyHomemaker
Beer Battered Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1-1/2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Crushed red pepper flakes Optional
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Eggs Lightly beaten
- 12 Fluid ounces Beer Light beer works best
- 5 green tomatoes sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/2 Cup Oil for frying Or more if needed
- salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix the flour, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, eggs, and beer. The mixture should resemble pancake batter.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Dip tomato slices in the batter to coat, then fry in the skillet 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season immediately to taste with a sprinkle of salt. Eat while hot.