BEST EVER Macaroni & Cheese
I’ve been making my macaroni & cheese like this for the past 10 years. It’s the best I’ve ever had!
When it comes to the quintessential Southern foods, macaroni & cheese is pretty far up that list… right up there with buttermilk biscuits. And somehow, somehow – I’ve never shared my recipe for mac-n-cheese with y’all. I feel like I should go hang my head in shame or something. But I’m getting older and hanging my head in shame would result in a neck cramp… so, we can count that one out.
Instead, I’m just going to skip the whole hanging my head in shame game (hey look, I rhymed – I’m so special) and go right into bragging about how good my mac & cheese is. 😉 lol
This macaroni & cheese really is the best I’ve ever had though, and I’ve been making it this way for at least 10 years now. This is the only oven baked recipe that I like because I like my mac & cheese nice and creamy… and usually the baked mac n’ cheese dishes are a little too ‘casserole-y’. I like a crisp cheese crust, but don’t like any of that crouton topping that some baked mac n cheese’s have too.
For me, this recipe is absolutely perfect because it has a nice crust that’s ONLY cheese… and the inside? Oh baby – it’s all creamy, cheesy, & droolable. It’s divine. Bonus points, it’s EASY!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family has for years & years now!
PRINTABLE RECIPE AFTER THIS RECIPE IN VIDEO!
Best Ever Macaroni & Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni cooked to package directions
- 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1-1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus 1/4 cup extra for topping
- 1-1/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese plus 1/4 cup extra for topping
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cheese cubed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees & spray a 3 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, eggs, butter, sour cream, salt & pepper. Stir in the cheddar, colby jack, & Velveeta cheese. Mix in the cooked elbow noodles.
- Spread in a 3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining colby jack & cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.