Braised Short Ribs
These Braised Short Ribs are nothing short of amazing. You only need 5 ingredients & they are one of those easy meals that you can just let cook & forget about til it’s done.
This is my favorite way to prepare short ribs. Moist & flavorful every single time.
So I’ve been pretty much absent from the internet for almost 2 weeks now. I have a tendency to take on more tasks than what I can handle & then end up overwhelmed and just have to cut some things out. I’ve done this as long as I can remember; it’s definitely something I need to work on. I run around most days like a chicken with my head cut off and I really can’t stand that feeling. You know the one where you feel like you are constantly running behind? I know many of you can relate! Why do we do that to ourselves? Overfill our already full plates? Human nature I guess. Time to slow down a little and breathe.
I’ve been meaning to share this short rib recipe for a couple weeks now & I’m excited that I’m finally getting around to it today. It’s actually one of those comforting meals that you can have cooking while you are running around your house like a headless chicken.
The Braised Short Ribs slow cook in the oven for a couple of hours and they turn out perfect each and every time. You can also use your crockpot for this if you want to. They are so easy but they taste like you spent hours slaving away in the kitchen. Truly 5 star. Only 5 ingredients too (not counting the salt & pepper!)
These babies come out moist, almost falling apart, and overflowing with flavor. Every. Single. Time.
You don’t really need a whole lot of ingredients either. The way that this is cooked makes all the difference. If you don’t have a dutch over (covered cast iron pot), I’d strongly suggest you get one. You are going to be amazed at the enormous power up it gives your cooking game.
If you absolutely just can not get one, but still want to make this recipe… just use an oven safe pot with a tight fitting lid or cover your oven safe dish with aluminum foil. You can also brown the short ribs in a skillet & then transfer everything to a covered baking dish or a crockpot.
And the sauce that accumulates in the bottom of the dutch oven? Well, that’s just Heaven. Absolute Heaven. Feel free to dunk all the bread you can all in it… or ladle it over a baked potato.
Braised Short Ribs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 pounds bone-in short ribs
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 1 head garlic cloves removed & skin removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat the olive oil a dutch oven or oven safe pot. Add the diced onion. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic cloves (whole cloves) and cook for another minute or two. Remove the onions/garlic & set aside.
- Add the short ribs & sear on each side over high heat. You're not wanting to cook them through, just give them a nice sear on the outside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the onion mixture on top of the short ribs. Pour in the beef broth.
- Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat to the stove.
- Place the covered oven-safe pot into the oven. Cook at 325 for 2.5 hours.