With a sweet and spicy glaze and delicious smoky bacon, Candied Bacon couldn’t be any tastier! Also called pig candy or Million Dollar Bacon – because this bacon tastes like a million bucks – this easy bacon recipe is the perfect pick for holiday brunches or breakfast with the family. And, you won’t believe how easy it is to make!
These days, you can find all sorts of bacon at the grocery store. From thick-cut to peppered bacon and even some other flavors, there always seems to be something new to try.
But Candied Bacon is the best of them all!
With an irresistible sweet and spicy glaze, this bacon is so good you’ll want to make it again and again! And, with only a handful of ingredients, there’s no reason not to!
Ingredients to Make Candied Bacon
Fortunately, it doesn’t cost much to make million dollar bacon. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bacon – See my comments below on the best bacon to make candied bacon.
- Brown sugar – Light brown sugar is fine.
- Black pepper – You can use coarsely ground black pepper or finely ground – your choice.
- Cayenne pepper – Bring on the spice! Cayenne has a nice level of heat for this dish.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – For even more spice! You can adjust how spicy you like the candied bacon.
What kind of bacon to use in Candied Bacon
Now is the time to use the good bacon! Store brands are often injected with extra water to keep the bacon plump (to inflate the weight), but that water will cook out in the oven. National brands, however, tend to be of better quality.
Look for thick-cut bacon and inspect the bacon through the package before buying it. However, you can use regular sliced bacon as well if you like a crispier candied bacon compared to a chewier one.
You want bacon that’s got a good meat-to-fat ratio. Some crispy fat is good, but you want to make sure your bacon isn’t mostly fat, or it’ll cook away to nothing in the oven.
How to Make Million Dollar Bacon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Lay the thick bacon slices flat on the pan so that they’re not touching. Make sure they’re in one layer.
- Combine the brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the bacon slices, thoroughly coating them. Use your fingers to pat the sugar mixture onto the slices.
- Bake until brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet before moving it.
- Dig in!
How to serve Candied Bacon
You can eat it just like it is for a delicious snack or make it a part of a heartier meal. Here are some of my favorite brunch recipes to pair with your millionaire bacon.
- Apple Fritter Bread and candied bacon go so well together!
- Who doesn’t love pancakes and bacon?
- Grits are one of my guilty pleasures, and they’re soooo good with this Candied Bacon!
This easy bacon recipe goes with just about any other breakfast or brunch fare, or enjoy breakfast for dinner and watch how fast a pound of this delicious bacon gets gobbled up!
How to store Candied Bacon
IF you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can warm it back up in the oven or your air fryer. It’s even delicious eaten cold right out of the refrigerator!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it’s still bacon even though it’s covered in sugary-spicy goodness. Keep it in the fridge, or it’ll spoil.
Yes! One little bowl and a few ingredients are all it takes to make this amazing million dollar bacon recipe.
Yes, it does have a little kick to it. But, it’s good a good balance of sweetness, too. If you don’t like it that spicy, only add half the recommended cayenne and red pepper flakes.
More delicious Breakfast and Brunch recipes:
- Air Fryer Bacon
- Southern Style Creamy Grits
- My Favorite Blueberry Muffins
- French Toast Tacos
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- 1 Pound bacon
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- 1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Lay the uncooked bacon slices on the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the bacon slices, fully coating all the slices. Using your hands, gently pat the sugar down onto the slices of bacon.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer the bacon from the baking sheet pan to a cooling rack and let cool for another 10 minutes.