Caramelized Onion & Prosciutto Pizza
I have been making this recipe for 5 years. My whole family agrees, this Caramelized Onion & Prosciutto Pizza is the BEST PIZZA EVER! And it’s super easy to make!
EDIT 02/2015: I have been making this phenomenal pizza since I first posted this recipe way back in 2010. It is hands-down my family’s FAVORITE pizza recipe. Better than anything you can get in any restaurant or make handmade – we all adore it. The sweet & salty combination of it just can’t be beat. My family devours this one – and everyone gets super excited when they know we’re having it for dinner. It’s really easy to make – you only need a handful of ingredients & it’s the simplest thing ever to put together. Also, I have slightly updated the recipe since I first posted it back in 2010. The original recipe did come from Ree Drummond (link in post) – but over time, I’ve made a few slight changes that I feel completely perfected it into the best pizza ever as far as we all are concerned! I hope you’ll give it a chance because if you do, I just know you’re gonna fall in love like my family has – and anyone else who’s had the pleasure of dining at our house when I’ve made it. (side note: it’s a sleepover favorite for my kids & their friends – even the picky ones!)
Now let’s rewind back to 2010….
I adore the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. I have her cookbook & have made practically everything from it. That said – I was on her website the other day & came across a recipe for ‘Caramelized Onion & Prosciutto Pizza’. I had never heard of such a combination, but the picture of her pizza looked SO good that I just had to give it a try. It calls for fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, & onions caramelized in brown sugar. Such a simple concept, & OH SO GOOD! I made this for dinner tonight & we (kids included) were just smitten with this little gem of a recipe.
My pizza, before baking…
And again after baking!
This is definitely something that I will be making again. Sooooo good! You have got to try this one!
Caramelized Onion & Prosciutto Pizza
- 1 whole Pizza Crust (raw dough or precooked)
- Olive Oil, For Drizzling
- 1 whole Large Onion, Halved And Thinly Sliced
- ¼ cups Brown Sugar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, grated or fresh shredded
- 10 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Thinly Sliced
- 8 slices Prosciutto (more To Taste)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you’re using raw pizza dough, precook it according to the package directions for 5 minutes. If you’re using cooked dough, skip this step.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add the sliced onion. Season with salt & pepper. Cook, on medium-high heat, for about 7-10 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned & caramelized. Stir in ¼ cup brown sugar. Cook on medium heat & cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Now, over to the pizza crust. Drizzle on olive oil, sprinkle on a little salt, followed by a little Parmesan (grated or shredded).
- Lay slices of mozzarella evenly over the top of the crust. Arrange caramelized onions over the top of the mozzarella. Lay slices of the prosciutto over the onions. Sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes in the oven, or until the bottom of the crust is golden brown, being careful not to cook for too long. If you’re using a precooked crust, cook according to the package instructions. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, and cut into squares. Serve immediately.
You can substitute shredded mozzarella for the fresh, & it will still taste really good. However, for this recipe – the fresh mozzarella is so much better.
If you have issues with burning pizzas, use a precooked pizza crust – usually found with the pasta in my local grocery store.