Clam Chowder Cheesy Pasta Bake
This Clam Chowder Cheesy Pasta Bake is such a delicious & frugal casserole – not to mention so totally simple to prepare! My whole family adores it!
I’m a pushover when it comes to super easy casseroles. When I’m able to go through my cantry & grab a few items – and then turn that into a hearty casserole to feed the entire family, I feel awesome. This is probably why I always have a well stocked pantry… because getting a homemade dinner on the table super fast leaves me more time to do other things. Like sleep. What? Did you think I was gonna say I’d be productive? Hmmm, being productive versus going to sleep. Such a hard choice!! 😉
I love Progresso soups, & I have used them before to make shortcut dinners that taste like I’ve spent hours on them like this Steak, Cheddar, & Caramelized Onion Pot Pie. I’m a huge fan of their clam chowder – and a few weeks back, this idea hit me to attempt making a casserole out of it. Of course, I hit google first to see if I could find one – and I couldn’t find anything like what I was thinking of. That always makes me feel awesomely unique when I can’t find a recipe I’m thinking of creating with Mr. Google.
I started thinking of what would be good paired in a casserole form with the clam chowder to begin with. Pasta, Italian cheeses, oyster crackers…. I just knew I was onto something good! Boy, was I ever right too. The recipe I had created came out perfect with the very first try, and my whole family devoured it. Even my seafood hating 13 year old was scarfing it down!
Yup, this one is definitely a winner! Even the leftovers are fantastic!
Starting off with the canned clam chowder makes this super duper fast to prepare. When you keep your pantry stocked with these kind of ingredients, you can feel certain that you can whip up dinner in a jiffy – and your family is definitely going to be wowed with this recipe!
Here’s what you need:
First things first – cook those noodles according to the package directions. I use penne, but you could use elbow noodles, ziti, etc if you want. It’s all pasta, right?
While the pasta is boiling, go ahead and saute up a medium onion that has been diced in 1-2 tablespoons of butter. You could leave it raw, but I think sauteing it first is best in terms of both texture & flavor. Give it a little hit of salt & pepper too.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain it.
In a large bowl, pour in 2 cans of Progresso Rich & Hearty Clam Chowder.
Mix in 2 beaten eggs, 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of Italian dressing mix, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, & black pepper to taste.
Stir it all together until combined.
Add in the cooked pasta, sauteed onions, & 3 cups of Italian shredded cheese. I buy a mix of Italian shredded cheese, but if you can’t find that – you can also sub Mozzarella. Stir well to thoroughly combine.
Spread the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish.
In separate bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of melted butter with the remainder of the Italian dressing mix packet. Stir in half a bag of oyster crackers (about 2 cups worth).
Sprinkle the seasoned oyster crackers on top of the pasta along with some diced green onions.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven & garnish with more diced green onions if desired. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!
Clam Chowder Cheesy Pasta Bake
- 1 16 oz box penne pasta
- 2 cans of Progresso Rich & Heart Clam Chowder
- 1 packet of Italian dressing dry mix divided
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 6 tablespoons of butter divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 cups of Italian mix shredded cheese or sub Mozzarella
- about 2 cups of oyster crackers around half a package
- pepper to taste
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet & saute the onion for about 5-6 minutes on medium high heat. Drain the pasta.
- In a large bowl, combine the 2 cans of clam chowder with the beaten eggs, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of Italian dressing mix, garlic powder, & black pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked pasta, sauteed onions, & shredded cheese. Spread the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of melted butter with the remainder of the Italian dressing dry mix. Fold in the oyster crackers. Spread the seasoned crackers over the pasta. Sprinkle with some diced green onions, reserving some to sprinkle on after the casserole has baked.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remainder of diced green onions. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.