Crispy Parmesan-Crusted Brussels Sprouts
If you’re a cheese lover or a Brussels sprouts fan, then this is the recipe you’ve been waiting for! Even if you hate Brussels sprouts, I bet you’ll like this recipe because these crispy Parmesan-Crusted Brussels Sprouts are cheesy, flavorful, crunchy, and oh-so-good!
Brussels sprouts are such an underrated vegetable, and people either seem to love them or hate them. If you’re a hater, I challenge you to try this recipe! In this easy Parmesan-Crusted Brussels Sprouts recipe, they are totally transformed into crunchy flavor bombs!
Brussels sprouts and cheese may seem like an odd combination, but they’re a perfect match! The saltiness of the cheese and the spices go so well together, and there’s plenty of butter, too, so they’re buttery and delish.
Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never cooked this veggie before. They’re easy to prep and make, and all you need is a baking sheet and a hot oven.
These baked Brussels sprouts go so well with so many dishes, and you can even make them ahead of time. Be sure to see all my meal suggestions below, and treat your family to a terrific meal where everyone will rave about how good these Parmesan-Crusted Brussels Sprouts are!
- Brussels sprouts – See my notes below on how to buy and clean them.
- Butter – Melted.
- Parmesan cheese – Shredded.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
How To Buy And Clean Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts look like mini cabbages, and you’ll find them in the produce section of just about every grocery store. There are a few things you should look for when buying them:
- Look for firm, tight Brussels sprouts that are dark green in color
- Look at the stem ends – pick sprouts that are tightly closed at the stem end
- Pick through the sprouts and choose ones that are similar in size for even cooking.
Wondering how to clean Brussels sprouts? Take a sharp paring knife and trim a bit off the stem end and then peel off the top layer of leaves. If you see any blemishes, you may need to remove another layer of leaves, but that’s it! Super easy!
How To Make The Best Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat your oven to 425-F degrees
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half from stem to tip.
- Pour the melted butter into a large-rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the butter, then sprinkle on the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine into a paste, then spread it out evenly on the baking sheet.
- Place the halved Brussels sprouts cut side down in the baking pan directly on top of the Parmesan mixture.
- Bake the Brussels sprouts for 35-40 minutes, depending on how done you like your Brussels sprouts. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then gently separate the sprouts. They’ll crisp up as they cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- Look for medium-sized Brussels sprouts for this recipe.
- Use fresh Brussels sprouts. Frozen sprouts are very wet, and they may not get as crispy if with so much liquid in the sprouts.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts on a rack in the middle of the oven, not too close to the bottom heat source, so they don’t get too brown.
- Let the sprouts cool a bit before serving, and they’ll be nice and crispy!
- Switch up the spices! You can use a Cajun seasoning blend, Old Bay, Italian seasoning or whatever you have on hand.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the top of the Brussels sprouts when you take them out of the oven to add a bit of spice.
- You can clean and prep the Brussels sprouts ahead of time.
These Parmesan-Crusted Brussels Sprouts need to cook in a hot oven, so watch that whatever else you’re cooking doesn’t need a lower cooking temperature. Of course, if you have two ovens, this isn’t a problem! I love serving these roasted Brussels sprouts with Crockpot Chicken & Gravy, Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork, and homemade Sloppy Joes.
Store any leftover ribs in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days, but I doubt they’ll last that long!
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Pounds fresh Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and sliced in half
- 5 Tbsps butter
- 1 Cup finely shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degreees. Pour the melted butter inside of a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the melted butter along with the seasonings. Stir to combine the mixture into a paste and spread it evenly over the baking sheet. Place the halved Brussels sprouts cut side down in the baking pan, directly on top of the Parmesan spice mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the level of doneness you like your Brussels sprouts. I like mine pretty well done, so I cook mine near to the 40 minute mark. The size of your Brussels sprouts will also affect your cooking time. I try to pick out ones that are more of a medium sized and stay away from the super small/super large ones. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Gently separate the Brussels sprouts. The will get crispier as they cool.