Crunchy Garden Italian Pita Pocket
Crunchy Garden Italian Pita Pocket – this is an old fashioned recipe that is a staple at many potlucks and picnics. This is also great as a deliciously easy lunch or dinner idea!
I remember having these Crunchy Garden Italian Pita Pockets at quite a many potlucks over the years. I recently ran across the recipe in one of my many vintage cookbooks and was reminded of it – and of how much I really enjoyed them. So, I decided to whip up a batch for a quick and easy meal for my family.
You can make the crunchy garden filling a couple days ahead of time to save time if you like, or just to keep in the fridge for a quick lunch or dinner option. This is definitely a great recipe if you are looking to add some variety to your meal planning.
What goes inside of a Crunchy Garden Italian Pita Pocket?
Well, first you need a piece of pita bread. Halved. Then the inside opens up like a little pocket and you can fill it on up.
In addition to the pita bread, you will also need:
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 12 pitted olives, sliced (I like to use a combination of olives here for extra flavor & color)
- 1 small onion, chopped (any onion will do but use red if you want an extra burst of color)
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- sliced deli ham
- sliced deli turkey (or chicken)
- Cheese slices (of your choice)
The cucumber, olives, onion, & Italian dressing are combined beforehand and marinated for at least an hour in the fridge for optimum flavor. Sometimes I like to add finely diced radishes to this mixture too for an extra bite.
What if I don’t like cucumbers? Or olives? Or onions?
Substitute whatever vegetables for this that you’d rather have or suit your flavors a little better. Nuts are also really good mixed with this.
So, I know what’s in it. How do I assemble the pita pocket?
Simple! Just fill the pita pocket halves with the deli meat & cheese and then the marinated vegetable mixture. Easy peasy!
What should I serve with the Crunchy Garden Pockets?
These are great all on their own to be honest with you! They also make a great appetizer or party snack.
If you’d like a side dish to go along with this, here are some great options.
- Tomato Caprese Salad – All Fanned Out
- Summer Spaghetti Salad
- Sausage and Eggplant Greek Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Green Bean Salad
- Kale and Apple Potato Salad
- Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Avocado Onion Salad
- Salad (store bought salad mix is great!) tossed with Homemade Balsamic Dressing
Crunchy Garden Italian Pita Pockets
- 1 Cucumber Chopped (you can peel it or leave skin on)
- 12 Pitted olives Sliced
- 1 Small onion Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Italian dressing
- Deli ham slices
- Deli turkey slices (or chicken)
- sliced cheese of your choice
- 4 Pita breads Cut in half
- Mix the cucumber, pitted olives, and onion together with the Italian dressing. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up til overnight to marinate.
- Fill the pita bread halves with ham, turkey (or chicken), cheese singles, and marinated vegetable mixture.