Easy Cheesy Garlic Baked Chicken
Easy Cheesy Garlic Baked Chicken – it’s just as delicious as the name suggests. Super simple preparation with only a few ingredients too! A family favorite!
In case you missed yesterday’s post, I’m celebrating my blog’s 5 year anniversary this weekend by redoing a couple of my family’s favorite recipes that were posted in my blog’s early days that didn’t get as much love as they deserve because of me being a brand new blog for one, and for two – my photography skills were seriously lacking back then!
Yesterday I shared my Beef Puff Pie, which I encourage you to check out if you haven’t already – it’s so darn good, and definitely one of my family’s all-time favorites. Today, I’m sharing my Cheesy Garlic Baked Chicken – another well loved family favorite that I make all the time.
Why do I make it all the time? It’s incredibly fast & easy for one, with minimal ingredients that I always have on hand, – and hello, it’s amped up with garlic & cheese! Sometimes, I even sprinkle a little bit of crumbled bacon over the top because seriously – when is adding bacon to a recipe not a good idea?
I’ve been making this recipe for my family for at least a decade now. It’s one of my ‘go-to’ meals because of how yummy it is along with it’s ease of preparation.
Thinner chicken breasts work best for this dish as the thicker pieces don’t pull the garlic flavor in as well – so save the thicker pieces for another recipe. Chicken tenderloins also work really well in this.
Here’s what you need. And yes, you need a cat named Milton looking on to make sure this recipe turns out perfect. Ok, maybe you don’t… but I do. 😉
Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a bowl. Stir in 8-10 cloves of minced garlic (I use a microplane to grate mine) & 1/2 cup of olive oil.
Microwave the mixture for 1 minute. This will infuse all that fabulous garlic flavor into the butter & olive oil.
In a dish, combine 1 cup of Italian bread crumbs & 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
Dip… wait, not just dip – bathe the chicken breasts in the garlic mixture – making sure to get a good bit of the minced garlic on each piece of chicken. Sprinkle on a little bit of garlic salt on each piece of chicken, then coat both sides in the bread crumb/parmesan cheese mixture.
I like to bake mine in an enameled cast iron baker because it gives it a nice crust but that’s not necessary. You can also use panko bread crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs for little extra crisp.
Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 35 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
Place a small handful of shredded cheese on top of the chicken breasts. I usually do colby jack, but I’ve also used cheddar & mozzarella. Whatever you like or have on hand will work.
Put the chicken back in the oven & cook for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with diced green onions. You can also add a little bit of chopped cooked bacon if you like, but that’s completely up to you. It’s fantastic without it though.
After just one bite, you’ll fully understand why this simple dish is so very loved by myself & the rest of my family!
Easy Cheesy Garlic Baked Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts that are on the thinner side
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs you may also use Italian panko crumbs for a crispier texture
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8-10 cloves of minced garlic
- garlic salt to taste
- 1 cup of shredded cheese or more to taste. Any kind will do. My favorite is colby jack.
- diced green onions to garnish you can also add chopped cooked bacon if you like
- Pour the melted butter into a good bit of minced garlic. I use about 8 large cloves. Pour in the olive oil. Microwave the mixture for 1 minute. Remove, and give it a quick stir with a fork. Microwave for another 30 seconds. This gets all that good garlic flavor infused with the butter & olive oil.
- Mix together equal parts of Parmesan Cheese & Italian Bread Crumbs. Dip the chicken breasts in the garlic mixture, coating both sides thoroughly making sure to get a good bit of the minced garlic on each piece. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt & then dip into the dry mix, coating all sides well.
- Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Sprinkle a good bit of cheese on top of each chicken breast & then pop it back into the oven for just a couple minutes to melt the cheese on top. Garnish with diced green onions - you can also add chopped cooked bacon if you like.