Flashback Friday – The Mrs’s Perfect Squash Casserole
Looking for the perfect squash casserole? Well look no further. This squash casserole is it!
This week on Flashback Friday, we’re pulling my squash casserole front & center again. The original post was made back in August of 2012. This is the squash casserole recipe I use every single time I make it, and it’s the only recipe I’ll ever use!
I absolutely love squash. It’s my favorite vegetable by far. There are so many things you can do with it, and with the exception of straight up frying it – making into a casserole is my favorite 2nd favorite way to eat it.
When we first started gardening years ago, I experimented with several different recipes – none of which were bad, but none of which were perfect either. As with most of my other recipes, I dabbled around a bit in experimentations until I finally ended up with perfection.
Perfection ended up being simpler than I thought.
Follow along with me. It’s really easy.
Here’s what you need. In two parts. Because I forgot to add the 2 bowls of squash & onions to the first photo. Oh, and while the cheese crackers are mandatory for the recipe, the Angry Birds are optional. Well, unless you ask my 2 year old.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the squash (or how my PawPaw would say – ‘squish’) and the onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and pour in some water, just enough to cover. Cover, & cook until the squash & onions are tender – about 5 minutes.
Drain it – and then set it aside in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, salt & pepper. In another bowl, mix together the cracker crumbs & cheese. Mix half of the crumb mixture with the squash, and then stir in the egg mixture. Pour into a 2 or 3 quart baking dish.
Sprinkle on the remaining crumb/cheese mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
The Mrs's Squash Casserole
- 4 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 cups cheese crackers crushed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- enough water to cover
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place squash and onion in a large skillet & pour in enough water to cover. Turn the heat on medium-high, cover, & cook until tender – about 5 minutes. Drain well, and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, salt, & pepper. In another bowl, mix together the crumbled cheese crackers & the cheese. Stir half of the crumb mixture into the squash along with the egg mixture. Combine well. Pour into a 2 to 3 quart casserole dish, and top with the remaining cracker/cheese mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.