Ham, Egg, & Asparagus Breakfast Rollups (with Dijon Swiss Cheese Sauce)
I’m all about breakfast – it’s my favorite meal of the day. So, I guess it’s a pretty good thing that it’s also the most important meal of the day. Or at least, that’s what they say!
I’ve always been all about breakfast but my tastes sure have changed over the years. When I was younger, I wanted pancakes. Nothing else. Just pancakes. Or maybe waffles. Either way, breakfast at that point pretty much had to be covered in syrup. And I was perfectly happy with my syrup coated carbs.
Then I got older (it happens) – and my tastebuds changed (a long with a lot of other things, but that’s a blog post for another time! haha). And while I still really enjoy a good stack of pancakes, I’d much rather have a savory breakfast these days.
So, when I was given the opportunity to work with Michigan Asparagus on some recipe creation & me being on the savory breakfast kick that I am, I knew that I wanted to come up with something to satisfy those cravings.
I took tender Michigan Asparagus (their asparagus is hand snapped instead of cut y’all – that means less fibrous ends & more edible product!) – and paired it with my eggs & onions. Then, I wrapped it with ham slices – like little burritos. Then…. then… I poured a dijon swiss cheese sauce over top & baked it off.
Oh my my my…
It’s so, so good.
If you are like me & want to know where your food came from… then Michigan Asparagus is the spear you want to look for in the market. They are one of the only (and second largest) domestic production regions for US grown asparagus. That means fresher asparagus for consumers that isn’t coming from another country – grown right here in the USA!
Oh yeah – and there’s an AWESOME giveaway, y’all! Scroll down below the recipe to get to it. 3 winners – and the grand prize winner gets a $700 gift card! -woot woot!-
Printable recipe after the recipe video!
Ham, Egg, & Asparagus Breakfast RollUps
- 3+2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 bunch asparagus
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 12 slices deli ham
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1.5 cups swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped green onions (optional)
- In a skillet melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the asparagus. Cook on medium high heat for 2 minutes then add the onion. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until the asparagus is tender & the onions are translucent. Reduce heat to medium/low. Beat the eggs & heavy cream. Pour into the skillet. Cook on m
- Layer two pieces of ham together sort of like laying a roof shingle with one end overlapping. Fill with the eggs & asparagus. Carefully & tightly roll up & place in a 9x13 casserole dish. Repeat until all the egg mixture is gone.
- In a saucepan melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minutes, whisking occasionally. Pour in the milk & cook on medium high heat, whisking often, until thickened. It should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in the dijon mustard & swiss cheese. Pour over the ham rollups.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions if desired.
Love it looks so different. Will be trying it soon. Thanks