Loaded Mashed Potato Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Two of my favorite dishes come together to create these delicious Loaded Mashed Potato Stuffed Poblano Peppers!
Loaded Mashed Potato Stuffed Poblano Peppers! This idea came to be after I combined two of my favorite foods, loaded mashed potatoes & stuffed poblano peppers. And also, a surplus of poblano peppers in my otherwise dead vegetable garden.
Some of my best recipes actually come to be from the need to use up food before it goes bad and this recipe is one of those that I will definitely be making time and time again. I had buckets of poblanos last week come out of my garden, and I roasted, skinned, chopped, & froze most of them. But when I saw that I had leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge, I had the genius idea of loading them up with bacon, cheese, & sour cream and cramming that mixture inside of roasted poblano peppers and baking them off in the oven.
These make a great appetizer, side dish, or meatless main dish – but they also make a great party snack and would be amazing served at your next football game get-together. Delicious all on their own, but they are also fabulous with a drizzle of my cilantro cream sauce on top. YUM!
Super easy to make & addictive to eat. I hope that you make a batch of this soon & come back and tell me about how much you love them!
Loaded Mashed Potato Stuffed Mashed Potatoes
- 8 poblano peppers
- about 1.5 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 8 slices cooked crispy bacon chopped & divided
- 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped green onions and/or chopped cilantro for garnish
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place peppers on the baking sheet. Cook under the preheated broiler until the skin of the peppers has blackened and blistered, 3 to 4 minutes. Place blackened peppers into a bowl and tightly seal with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam as they cool, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the mashed potatoes, half the bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream, & garlic powder. Season to taste with salt & pepper, if needed.
- Remove skins from the roasted poblano peppers. Make a small cut in each pepper and scrape out seeds. Stuff peppers with potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven & top with the remaining chopped bacon. Garnish with green onions and/or cilantro.