Lori’s White Chicken Chili
Lori's White Chicken Chili
For the chili:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 4oz cans chopped green chiles, undrained
- 3 14.5oz cans great northern beans, undrained
- salt to taste
For the Spice Blend:
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cilantro leaves
- 1/2 rounded teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat oil in a 5 quart saute pan over medium heat. Add chicken, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a 5 quart or larger dutch oven. Cover, and keep warm.
- Add the onion to the drippings in the saute pan, and cook over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in broth, green chiles, and spice blend; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Pour this over the chicken that's in the Dutch oven, and add the beans.
- Cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Salt to taste. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, and onions if desired. Serve with corn bread or corn chips.