Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice
Even my 8 year old son requests that I make this Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice. It’s absolutely delicious!
I keep finding more & more ways to spruce up boring ol’ cauliflower rice. I had no idea that I’d ever grow to love it as much as I do, especially being that I still can’t eat un-riced cauliflower no matter how hard I try. I’ve come up with a few different ways to cook it that I actually crave like this Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice, Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, & my Chicken Sausage, Spinach, & Cauliflower Rice Skillet.
Today, I’ve got another one to add to that list. Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice and it’s the bomb. Ka-pow.
I caramelize the onions & roast the tomatoes that go into this dish & that’s one of the not-so-secrets that make this so dang good. You can add shredded chicken and/or black beans to it if you like. It’s perfect for a main dish or a side dish.
My 8 year old son, who absolutely hates anything even remotely healthy, actually requests this ‘taco rice’ as he calls it regularly now. That’s a huge feet right there in mom world! I mean, my kid eats (and asks for) this jazzed up cauliflower rice. I say I should get some sort of medal or something. Or at least a sticker. A yellow smily faced one would be nice.
This is delicious fresh, but I swear it just gets better when you reheat it later. That makes it perfect for meal planning! More often than not, I have a Tupperware container of this in my fridge ready for either myself or one of my kids to heat it up. It is so yummy.
If you’re on Whole30: As long as you don’t add black beans to this, this recipe is also Whole30 compliant.
Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice
- 2 - 12 oz frozen packages cauliflower rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 medium to large onion chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos seeded & minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped - plus more for garnish
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- olive oil to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- cooked chicken chopped or shredded (optional)
- black beans rinsed & drained (optional)
- sliced avocado & lime to garnish optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly toss the cherry tomatoes with olive oil & spread out on a baking sheet. Season generously with salt & pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft & the tops are browned (or blackened, depending on your flavors. I tend to like mine a little more cooked). Set aside.
- In a small skillet, pour enough olive oil to cover the pan. Heat over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan & season with salt and pepper. Cook, over medium heat, for about 7-10 minutes or until they have caramelized. Mix in the minced jalapenos & chopped garlic. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. Mix in the chopped cilantro right before taking off the heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile - Heat enough olive oil to cover a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the frozen cauliflower rice, breaking up any frozen clumps with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes, until the cauliflower rice has lightly browned. Pour in the chicken broth & bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium & cook for about 7-10 minutes, or until the liquid has mostly cooked out. Season with salt, pepper, & garlic powder.
- Stir the roasted tomatoes & sautéed onion mixture into the cauliflower rice. Stir in cooked chicken and/or black beans, if desired. Garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, & lime wedges.
This sounds really good. I will be trying this very soon. Congrats. on getting your picky eater to go for cauliflower rice and avocado! One of my sons would eat any vegetable & another one would not touch alot of vegs so I know the challenge to get them to eat right. Blessings, Betty
Oh, that it is! It’s definitely a daily struggle lol
This looks really good. I’m going to make it this weekend. Thanks for such good recipes.
Thank you! I hope that you like it!