Queso Fundido con Chorizo
Queso Fundido con Chorizo – which translates to ‘Melted Cheese with Chorizo’. It only has 3 ingredients & it’s nothing short of amazing. Serve it as a dip with tortilla chips or roll it up in tortillas. Heck, you could even spread it on cardboard and it would taste good. It’s seriously that good, y’all.
Not only do I have a love for Southern cooking, but I also have love for the Mexican cuisine. I’m a Southern gal, not a bit of Latino in me – but I just love the flavors so much. And, I love experimenting with the different recipes that I find.
This Queso Fundido con Chorizo has got to be the absolute most simplest recipe that I’ve ever come upon in any cuisine. It is seriously amazing and one of the best things ever.
So, what is it?
Queso Fundido con Chorizo translates to ‘Melted Cheese with Chorizo’ – and that’s exactly what it is. Yes, it’s simply just cheesy spreadable/dipable chorizo that’s downright outstanding dipped up with a tortilla chip or spread inside of a warm flour or corn tortilla. I’ve even eaten it alongside scrambled eggs with my breakfast. Don’t judge. 😉 It was delicious.
Ok, so we’ve established that it’s delicious and it’s simple. How simple? Tell me more.
The basic ingredient list is just chorizo and cheese. So that’s pretty dang simple. Sometimes I add in some minced garlic and jalapeño to the chorizo if I’m feeling like it.
Here’s what you need:
- ground chorizo (casings removed)
- shredded Oaxaca cheese
- shredded pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- minced onion
- minced garlic and/or jalapeno (optional)
First you need to cook your chorizo. Place it in the pan and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once it’s cooked about 5 minutes, add in the minced onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and the chorizo is cooked through. You can also add minced garlic and/or jalapeno if you like but it’s not necessary.
Now, you just assemble it.
Spread out the cooked chorizo in the bottom of a small casserole dish. Next, sprinkle over the Oaxaca and pepper jack/mont. jack cheese. Place it in the oven and cook until hot and bubbly.
Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage casings removed
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 12 ounces shredded cheese - either oaxaca, pepperjack, mont. jack - or a mix. I use half oaxaco and half pepperjack myself. shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brown chorizo over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces. Add minced onions & cook until translucent. You can also add minced garlic and/or jalapeno. Drain off excess fat, & spread into the bottom of a medium sized casserole dish.
- Cover the chorizo with the shredded cheese. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until hot and bubbly and all the cheese is melted through.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips or warm tortillas.