Queso Fundido con Chorizo
Queso Fundido con Chorizo – Cheese Lovers Beware…because you will become addicted to this! Bonus points – only 4 ingredients!
Not only do I have a love for Southern cooking, but I also have love for the Mexican cuisine. I’m a Southern gal, not a bit of Latino in me – but I just love the flavors so much. And, I love experimenting with the different recipes that I find.
This one was first served to me in a Mexican restaurant, and no matter how many times I asked – or how nicely I did it, they just wouldn’t give me the recipe.
The Queso Fundido con Chorizo wasn’t exactly the cheapest dish on the menu, so it was either pay a fortune for the dish every time I craved it or go home and try to figure it out myself.
I may love food – but I’m cheap. No way was I going to do the first option. So – to the test kitchen my kitchen I went to try my best to recreate it.
I think I did pretty darn good because my version tastes even better than the restaurant’s version. And, it’s not expensive at all. This is the point in the post where I stick my tongue out at the restaurant chef. You know how it goes – nanna nanna boo boo and all that good stuff.
Even if you have never tried chorizo sausage, give this recipe a whirl. The flavors will dance on your tongue, and you will be addicted. Just like me. But, I’m giving you the recipe – so therefor that makes me cooler than the expensive Mexican restaurant.
- ½ pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 10 ounces pepperjack cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons diced tomatoes & green chiles, drained
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Brown chorizo over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces. Add onions & cook until translucent. Drain off excess fat, & spread into the bottom of a medium sized casserole dish.
- Place cheese & tomatoes in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 15 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes have been combined. Spread the cheese in the casserole dish over top of the chorizo.
- Broil on the top rack of your oven until cheese starts to turn golden brown, around 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.