I love this Sausage Crescent Braid so much & have made it for years. It’s almost too simple to even be considered a recipe, but it sure is DELICIOUS!!
I have a collection of recipes that I hesitate to call recipes because of how stupidly simple they are. But, those seem to be some of your favorites… so why not share another one?
Today, I’m sharing the ‘recipe’ for my Easy Sausage Crescent Braid. I’ve been making this one for years & years & years. The flavors are spot on delicious and the prep couldn’t be easier. Plus, the ingredient list is super short!
Here’s what you need. (Note, when I have banana peppers from my garden – I use them in here, they are not a necessary ingredient even though the addition is yummy)
In a skillet, saute 1 pound of sausage with 1 small to medium onion (chopped) & 1-2 minced jalapenos. You can add a couple of diced banana peppers or a diced bell pepper too if you want, but you don’t have to if you don’t wanna. 🙂 Drain the cooked sausage mixture on paper towels.
Spread the crescent dough sheet out flat on a baking sheet. I covered my baking sheet with aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking. Spoon the sausage filling down the center of the dough, leaving space on both sides & at the front and back for folding.
Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese (or a blend).
Using a knife or pizza cutter, slice 5-6 diagonal cuts in the dough on each side. Like so.
Fold the front & back pieces up first to hold in the filling on each end. Now, fold the slices on each side up & over the filling.
Mix an egg white with a splash of water & brush atop the crescent braid.
Cook in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown.
Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. You can slice it into sandwich sizes or you can slice it into thin strips perfect for dipping. Totally up to you!
- 1 tube of crescent roll sheet dough
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 small to medium onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapenos, minced
- 2 banana peppers or 1 small bell pepper, diced (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (or blend) to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- egg wash (1 egg white whisked with a splash of water)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the sausage, onion, & peppers until cooked through. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Drain on a paper towel.
- Spread out the crescent roll sheet dough on a baking pan that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the sausage filling down the center leaving the sides, front & back with just dough for easy folding. Slice 5-6 diagonal cuts on each side of the dough. Fold in the front & back dough first, then fold over the ribbons of dough along the side making your crescent braid. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. You can choose to slice it into sandwich sizes or into dipable sticks.