Tater tots are on most kids favorite foods list, but honestly – they just aren’t the healthiest option. This recipes takes the flavors of the classic tater tots & infuses that flavor into a much healthier alternative – shredded zucchini. Zucchini is a mild vegetable, and takes on the flavors of whatever you pair with it, making it the perfect substitution when making a healthier tot for your tot.
Adults will love these too, especially when paired with my chipotle ranch sauce. I created a lightened up version of my delectable sauce though for pairing with this recipe. So, you can choose to serve it with the original chipotle ranch sauce, the new lightened up version, or heck – don’t use it at all and just pull out the ketchup, or whatever else you like to dip your tots in!
Taking care to press the zucchini mixture down in your mini muffin tins makes them nice & crispy – because no one likes a soggy tot. Unless you’re weird, which is still ok – because I never make any claims to be normal myself – or sane. -wink-
Feel free to experiment with this recipe a little too. Like the spice? Add some cayenne. Love garlic? Add more! Don’t like cheddar? Use another cheese! Customize it for your tastes, you won’t hurt my feelings any.
I have made these for many years now, and not trying to toot my own horn or anything – but they’re awesome. I actually would much rather have a helping of these than tater tots. You won’t even know these are made with zucchini, so serve them up to your kiddos and sneak those veggies into them. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me.
- 1 cup shredded, peeled zucchini (about 2 zucchinis)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 egg
- ¼ Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- paprika to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray. Using a small spoon, evenly distribute the zucchini mixture among the cups – filling about halfway & pressing the mixture down a little with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 20 minutes.