Italian Beefy Biscuit Casserole
This Cheesy Italian Beefy Biscuit Casserole has delicious layers of ground beef, cheese, tomatoes, and biscuits. It is so easy to make & is a favorite family meal!
This Italian Beefy Biscuit Casserole recipe is a dish that I grew up eating. We had it a lot in the summer with fresh garden tomatoes were in abundance. As a child, I didn’t really like tomatoes (even though I love them now!), but I could eat piles of this casserole. Now that I am an adult, I make it for my own children and they love it too. Even the pickiest of eaters will eat this one up.
I mentioned that this recipe was super easy and it is. The prep doesn’t take much time at all and the rest of the work, the oven does.
I prefer to use homemade biscuit dough as the base of this biscuit casserole recipe but just because I do doesn’t mean that you have to. It can be simplified by using frozen biscuits. When I use homemade biscuit dough, I don’t cut them into individual biscuits. Instead, I spread the dough into the bottom of a casserole dish to line it. If you are using frozen biscuits, just place enough in the bottom of you dish to cover the bottom.
You can grab my Mama’s Biscuit recipe by clicking here. That recipe is the biscuit dough that I use when I make this recipe. I’ve done frozen biscuits many times before (don’t thaw them first) and it’s still really good – but if I have the time, I prefer to make homemade biscuit dough. It’s cheaper too! You could also use a biscuit mix such as Bisquick to make this dish.
In a pinch, I have used drained canned tomatoes when making this. It turned out really good! The fresh tomatoes are really best but it’s still very good using canned tomatoes.
Italian Beefy Biscuit Casserole
- prepared biscuit dough or frozen biscuits to line the bottom
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 2-3 Cloves minced garlic
- 4-6 tomatoes sliced
- 1 bell pepper de seeded & chopped
- 2 jalapenos de-seeded & chopped
- 3 Cups shredded cheese I like a mix of sharp cheddar & pepperjack
- 1 Cup mayonnaise
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- paprika to taste (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line your casserole dish with frozen biscuits (keep them frozen) or a batch of biscuit dough. My Mama’s Biscuit recipe is on my website and that’s what I use. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown up the ground beef along with the chopped onion & minced garlic. Season with salt & pepper. Drain off the grease & set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the 3 cups of cheese with the mayonnaise & sour cream. Stir in the chopped bell pepper, jalapeno, & the seasonings.
- After the biscuit dough/biscuits have par-baked for 10 minutes, remove them from the oven & spread the drained beef & onion mixture over top. Cover the beef completely with slices of tomato. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into it.