Blueberry Cupcakes – with Fresh Blueberries
I bought some blueberries on special this morning with intentions of making blueberry muffins. As I was on driving home, the kids were asking me to make cupcakes – and an idea hit me. Why not make blueberry cupcakes? I haven’t seen a recipe for any, but I figured it couldn’t be that hard. I just made a standard cupcake recipe & added a basic fresh blueberry puree sauce to it. This is how I did it.
You will need 1 pint of blueberries for these scrumptious cupcakes.
Add your pint of blueberries (reserving a few for garnish if you desire) to a food processor along with 1/4 cup sugar & 1 tablespoon of cornstarch & process until smooth. Pour your blueberry puree into a small saucepan & bring to a boil on med-high heat.
Boil for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Then remove from the heat to allow it to cool. While I made my batter, I actually put the puree into the freezer so it would chill faster.
Now, onto our cupcake batter. You will need to cream together 1 stick of butter & 1 cup of sugar.
Beat in 2 eggs – one at a time.
Add in 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
Whisk in 1 3/4 cup of self rising flour & 3/4 cup of milk.
Fold in your cooled blueberry puree.
Using an ice cream scooper, divide your batter evenly among your cupcake liners, filling about half way full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Let cool on a baking rack before frosting.
Let’s get started on that frosting now! I made cream cheese frosting to top it off. Cream together 16oz of cream cheese,1 stick of butter, & 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – then beat in 2 cups of sifted confectioners sugar until creamy.
I decided to add a little blue food coloring for fun.
Pipe or spread on your frosting & decorate as you please. I used some fresh blueberries on some & pink sprinkles on the others per request of my 2 daughters!
Enjoy – Happy Baking!
- The Cupcakes:
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ self rising flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup blueberry puree recipe below
- Blueberry Puree:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 2 ½ cups blueberries and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a food processor, and process until smooth. Place puree in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Cool before using in cupcakes.
- Cream together butter & sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk on medium speed with an electric mixer. . Stir in puree until incorporated.. Using an ice cream scoop, add into paper liners until ½ to ⅔ full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
Wow your cupcakes look great.