Black Bean Burrito Bowls
Finally – a healthy meal that doesn’t cost a lot and your whole family will love. These Black Bean Burrito Bowls are so delicious, everyone will rave!
Once upon a time, if I saw a recipe that was meatless & healthy – I’m probably scrunch up my nose at it. That was back in the days where I believed that anything even remotely good for you had to taste pretty bad… and probably wasn’t meant for human consumption. After all, healthy food without meat is for rabbits… right?
Well, that way of thinking is long gone. Like down the rabbit hole & all the way through Wonderland gone.
Yes – food without meat that’s good for you can actually be delicious. In a knock your socks off insanely delicious with the kids even begging for more way. Oh yeah. And with the New Year fast approaching & so many making healthy New Year’s resolutions – I figured this was the perfect time to share the recipe for my Black Bean Burrito Bowls.
We are huge fans of Mexican food in my home, and these are the perfect solution for those cravings! So, if you’re trying to eat healthier – you won’t miss a single thing with this delicious meal! The flavor is spot on, the dish is healthy, & you walk away from dinner feeling like a real winner. Step aside, Rocky Balboa. Mom (or Dad!) is stepping up! 😉
Just because you want to eat healthy doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. It also doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune or your whole evening just to prepare a nutritionally sound dinner. Using the Bush’s canned beans in this recipe makes it a simple, fast & budget friendly dinner for your whole family! I love my canned beans, and I always keep them in my pantry for meals like this – they’re one of my super mom tools. 😉
Here’s what you need for making the black bean burrito bowls:
Dice up about 1/2 of a bell pepper, a medium red onion, 4 green onions, 3-4 cloves of garlic, & about 1/2 cup of cilantro.
Pour in enough extra virgin olive oil to cover the bottom of your pot. Add the bell pepper, red onion, green onions, garlic, & cilantro & sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Rinse 2 cans of Bush’s black beans in a colander.
Add the black beans, along with 1/2 cup of water & 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, to the pot & give it a good stir. Mmm, that’s looking good already!
Bring to a boil, then cover & reduce the heat to low – simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare your rice to layer in your burrito bowls. You’ll need about 3 cups of brown rice. I used the boil-in-the-bag rice myself, but use whichever you want. Just make sure you have 3 cups. To the hot rice, add 1/4 cup of olive oil, the juice of 1 large lime (or more to taste), 1/2 cup chopped cilantro – along with salt & pepper to taste.
Now, the black beans are most likely done – and,it’s time to make your burrito bowls! Don’t those beans look relish? You could definitely just eat them all on their own too! So good!
Now, to make your burrito bowls! You can choose from a whole mess of toppings! Here’s some ideas below.
That’s shredded lettuce, Del Monte no sodium added canned corn, jarred jalapeños, cilantro, green onions, limes, avocado, red onion, & shredded cheese. Of course – this is just a suggestion of things to add to yours! If you’re feeling a little adventurous, you could also top them with a little bit of homemade cheese sauce.
For mine, I chose the canned corn, avocado, lettuce, red onion, cilantro, & salsa…. oh, boy – it was SO darn good!
So dig in, gang – this one is a keeper!
Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- For the black beans:
- 1/2 of a bell pepper diced
- medium red onion diced
- 4 green onions diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- extra virgin olive oil to cover bottom of pot
- 2 cans of Bush's black beans rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or more to taste
- For the rice:
- 3 cups cooked brown rice - hot
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- the juice from 1 large lime or more to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- Additional toppings for the black bean bowls to choose from:
- shredded lettuce
- canned corn
- jarred or fresh jalapeños
- green onions
- red onion
- shredded cheese
- In a medium sized pot, pour enough olive oil in the bottom of the pot to cover the bottom. Add the bell pepper, red onion, green onions, garlic, & cilantro. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add in the 2 cans of drained & rinsed Bush's black beans, 1/2 cup of water, & the taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover, & reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the brown rice. Mix the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt & pepper into the rice & keep warm until the beans are ready.
- To make the burrito bowls, layer your rice & black beans with whatever toppings you;d like. My personal favorite combination is shredded lettuce at the bottom, then topped with the rice, black beans, salsa, cilantro, corn, & avocado. Yum yum!