Cabbage Casserole (Old Church Cookbook Recipe)
Hey y’all! I’ve always had a fascination for old cookbooks – especially old church cookbooks. A couple weeks ago, I shared a recipe for Baked Chicken & Rice Casserole from an old church cookbook of my grandma’s & it seems that so many of you enjoy the old church cookbook recipes as much as I do!
So, I thought I’d select a recipe from an older church cookbook a couple times a month, make it, & post it here. Doesn’t that sound like fun? A Church Cookbook Recipe Revival if you will 😉
The cookbook that I got this edition’s recipe from is ‘Home Made Cooking – Good ‘Nuff for Sharing’ (I just love that…) from Antioch Christian Church in the teeny tiny town of Bear Creek, NC. I got this one off of eBay not long ago. I currently live in Georgia, but my ‘home’ is in North Carolina… so I have a pretty heavy fondness for the church cookbooks that come from the area that I’m from.
I have a newfound appreciation & love for cabbage. Used to, unless it was in the form of my Cabbage Rolls, I wouldn’t even touch it. Now, I love it!
So, when I saw this super easy Cabbage Casserole recipe in my latest church cookbook find and I already had everything on hand to make it (because that’s always a plus!) – I decided to give it a go!
It turned out really good!! It is almost reminiscent of a squash casserole to me & is absolutely delicious. Definitely a make again. I added a little more cheese than what the recipe states, but hey – who doesn’t like a little extra cheese?
I think it would be also really great re-done with some chopped kielbasa/smoked sausage in it & made into a main dish meal. What about you?
The recipe really couldn’t be easier.
Chopped steamed cabbage, cheese, & mushroom soup mixed together…
Then spread into a casserole dish & sprinkle with Pepperidge Farm stuffing. Simple enough.
Bake for about 30 minutes, til bubbly & the topping is nicely browned.
I definitely recommend steaming your cabbage well if you like nice tender cabbage like I do. The recipe states until wilted, but I steamed mine a good 12-15 minutes until it was pretty super tender.
For the next Church Cookbook Recipe Revival – what kind of dish should I look to make? A dessert maybe? Appetizer? Main dish? Something with chicken? Let me know in the comments below or on my facebook page!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your pictures! Post it to instagram & tag me – @MrsHappyHomemaker
- 1 medium head cabbage chopped & steamed until tender (about 15 minutes)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese this is what the recipe calls for, but I say throw in another 1/2 cup to 1 cup if you like!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup undiluted (if you use anything larger than a medium head of cabbage, I recommend doubling this)
- Pepperidge Farm stuffing for sprinkling (I used about 1.5 cups worth - you're using this straight from the package)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the steamed chopped cabbage with the cheddar cheese & cream of mushroom soup until thoroughly combined. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with Pepperidge Farm stuffing.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.