Country Ham Jam (w/ Vidalia Onions & Redeye Gravy)
Forget Bacon Jam! Country Ham Jam is what it’s all about! Country ham, redeye gravy, & vidalia onions all come together for a heck of a southern style party in this delectable condiment that will rival any bacon jam recipe.
Sometimes ideas just come to me. Sometimes they suck and sometimes they don’t.
This Country Ham Jam is one of my newest foodie ideas, and it definitely does not suck.
If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, then you know that about a week and a half ago – I suffered some nasty boiling sugar burns in the kitchen. Both sets of hands had second degree burns to the fingers, but the left hand was way further up the burn scale than my right hand. Because of the blisters and raw skin, using my hands have been so super difficult since it happened. So, I’ve had a lot of unproductive, sitting around time on my hands (which drives me absolutely bonkers by the way!). With all this time on my hands, I’ve had a few ideas and this one was at the top of the list. As soon as I was up to 1 hands (rather than no hands haha), this was the first thing that I tried to create. This happened for the first time 2 days ago and it is going to happen infinitely throughout my life from now on.
Country Ham. Redeye Gravy. Vidalia Onions. All together in one big jammin’ party.
I am really so proud of this recipe, y’all. The idea came to me and I thought that it would be delicious. So, I googled it and saw nothing even comparable… not even a country ham jam! That always makes my heart go pitter patter just a little. So, I set to work creating it – and guess what? It turned out to be even yummier than I imagined it would be.
The salty country ham and redeye gravy paired with the caramelized sweet Vidalia onions – it’s absolutely amazing. The flavors are perfectly matched. I’m already a huge fan of this ham jam and want to put it on everything. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. It’s great on biscuits, toast, on a burger, spooned on fried green tomatoes, on a fancy grilled cheese sandwich, on your meat, on a spoon. I mean, it would even make cardboard taste good.
This Country Ham Jam is super easy to make!
- Cook the country ham in a hot skillet. Remove the country ham. Dice it up.
- Pour a little water & a little coffee in the skillet. Scrape up the browned bits. Bring to a boil, stir, then turn off the heat. Pour into a bowl or measuring cup.
- Caramelize your onions in the same pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar in the caramelized onions. Pour in the redeye gravy. Bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer & cook until thickened.
- Turn off the heat. Spoon the country ham jam into a mason jar or other container with a tight fitting lid. Enjoy!
It will stay good in the fridge for about 7 days.
It makes for a wonderful midnight snack too…. 😉
Psstt! I have a giveaway going on over on my Instagram for a chance win a 10 pound box of Vidalia Onions – so go enter now!
Country Ham Jam (with redeye gravy & Vidalia Onions)
- 1 pound country ham
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 extra large Vidalia onions (or other sweet onion) sliced into thin half rings
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
- 4 tbsp water
- Cook the country ham in a hot skillet on each side until done. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. Chop into bits.
- Add the coffee & water to the pan that the country ham cooked in to make the redeye gravy. Scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat. Pour into a heatproof bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the butter to the pan. Once melted, add the sliced Vidalia onions. Cook on low heat until browned & caramelized, about 20-30 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle the caramelized onions with the brown sugar & country ham bits; stir. Mix in the redeye gravy. Cook on medium/low until thick and jam like, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat & season to taste with salt, if needed.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for 7 days.