Fiesta Fries – French fries topped with taco seasoned ground beef, pico de Gallo, & cheese sauce. A copycat recipe from my local Mexican restaurant. So simple yet so delicious!
We have this local Mexican restaurant about 10 minutes away from my house that’s absolutely delicious and never crowded. We live in a small country town on the edge of Metro Atlanta, and we have just one ‘sit down and eat’ restaurant – and that would be the Mexican place. Sometimes it can be really slow as many times when we go, there is only one person working. He’s the waiter, the cashier, the bartender, the bus-boy – he does it all. But since there is rarely anyone there (gotta love a small town) it’s no worse than a busy Mexican restaurant in ‘the city’ since we are likely one of the only customers.
Myself and my oldest daughter, Destiny, always get the Fiesta Fries. They are so simple but oh so good. We love them so much that I started making them at home. I don’t know why it took me so long to make them because they really are super easy to whip up. Just seasoned ground beef, pico de gallo, & tons of cheese sauce atop a pile of French fries.
It’s easy to make up as little or as much as you’d like of these, so make enough just for you – or make up a whole platter for the entire party or for a party you’re throwing.
For the cheese sauce, you can use store-bought cheese sauce if you like. If you do, make sure you get the white queso cheese sauce that’s in the refrigerated hispanic food section at your local grocer. If you have a few extra minutes though, I highly recommend that you make your own cheese sauce to go on these fries. I mean, the store-bought will definitely work in a pinch but it has nothing on the flavor of a homemade cheese sauce. And homemade cheese sauce is wayyyyy easier than you may think. I even have a tutorial for it here. For this recipe, I recommend using Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese for your homemade cheese sauce but you can switch it out if you like a different cheese better.
When using frozen fries, I like the seasoned ones for this recipe. When I have the extra time, I love serving this atop my Baked Crispy Garlic Potato Wedges.
Love French fries? You may also like these great recipes!
- Bacon Ranch French Fry Pizza – bacon, ranch, & French fries all on one delicious (and unique) pizza!
- Grilled Cheese Fries – Deep fried ooey gooey cheesy flaky irresistible goodness with only 2 ingredients
- Cheeseburger & Fries Casserole – just what the title says, a cheeseburger and fries casserole!
- Baked Crispy Garlic Potato Wedges – Seasoned & cooked to crispy perfection. They are Whole30 friendly as well.
For the ground beef topping:
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- homemade cheese sauce using pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese OR 1 tub store-bought refrigerated queso dip
- pico de gallo homemade or store-bought
- frozen seasoned French fries cooked according to the package (you can also make your own)
- In a hot skillet, cook the ground beef fully. Drain the grease, then add 1/2 cup tomato sauce and the seasonings. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes
- Top the hot, cooked french fries with the ground beef mixture. Pour the cheese sauce over top, then top with pico de gallo.
- Serve immediately