Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
This Garlic Chicken Stir Fry is super simple & the flavor is spot on. No need to pour any soy sauce on this one, it’s so perfect you don’t need it!
I have a confession to make.
I have never attempted to make stir fry from scratch. Nope, not even once. I make homemade bread, laundry detergent, Neosporin, eloquent cheesecakes, etc. But never once have I made stir fry without using a packet of frozen stir fry veggie blend. Not that anything is wrong with using that, because it’s not – it’s just the simple fact I’ve never attempted it without it.
It’s pretty silly actually being how absolutely simple it is. I don’t know if I was afraid of something, or just lazy.
I got some of the new Pompeian Safflower/Olive Oil blend though, and it reads ‘ideal for high heat cooking’. To me, that just cries out to me ‘make stir fry!’. Sure, you could use it to sear steaks, salmon, whatever you want. I stress again though – I have never made stir fry completely from scratch…and this olive oil bottle was sending me silent commands that’s what I needed to do.
So I did.
Guess what I learned? Making stir fry from scratch is totally easy. I know, many of you are out there yelling ‘Well, DUH!’ at the computer right now. Guess what else? The veggies have much more texture & flavor when you cook them fresh instead of from frozen. I know, I know. Duh again, right?
It’s not rocket science.
I decided if I was going to make stir fry, I was gonna make it garlicy. I like things garlicy. I’m always trying to repeal those sparkly vampires. They kind of freak me out when they glitter in the sun like that instead of die.
It turned out fabulous. With my n0t-from-scratch stir fry, my family drowns it in soy sauce. This time, I put it on the table and my whole family said ‘Nope, this doesn’t need it. It’s delicious just the way it is!’.
Well, then – score for mom!
Here’s what you need – well except for the sweet onion because well, I forgot. Oops.
First, take your Pompeian OlivExtra California Select and pour a couple tablespoons into a pan. Heat it over medium/high heat until it’s glimmering with hotness. This safflower/olive oil blend is bad to the bone.
Stir in some chopped green onions, 3 cloves worth of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger, & a teaspoon of salt. Cook on medium high/heat for about 2 minutes.
Add a pound of thinly sliced chicken strips & cook about 5 minutes until the chicken is lightly browned.
Stir in 5 more cloves of minced garlic, 1 thinly sliced large diced onion, 1 cup of sliced cabbage, 1 thinly sliced bell pepper, & 1 cup of sugar snap peas,.
Add in 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
Lower the heat to medium, and cover the pan. Cook for about 4-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth with 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons white sugar, & 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the skillet & leave it uncovered.
Stir the mixture around to coat the vegetables & chicken. Cook for another 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Serve over rice or noodles if you want to.
Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian OlivExtra California Select Safflower/Olive Oil blend
- 8 cloves garlic minced & divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 bunch of green onions diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 pound of chicken breasts thinly sliced into strips
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat the Pompeian Safflower/Olive Oil blend on medium high heat in a large skillet or wok. When it's gleaming hot, add 3 cloves of minced garlic, the fresh grated ginger, diced green onions, & the salt. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining minced garlic, chicken, sweet onion, cabbage, bell pepper, & sugar snap peas. Add in 1/2 cup of chicken broth, reduce the heat to medium, & cover. Cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, & cornstarch. Uncover your pan, & mix the seasoned cornstarch slurry in. Cook on medium heat, uncovered for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Serve over rice or noodles if you desire.
Disclosure: I was compensated by Pompeian Olive Oil for this post/recipe. All opinions & general ramblings expressed are my own.
This sounds great!!
Yes!!! I love homemade stir fry!
Your stir fry looks awesome!! I’ve made stir fry from scratch a couple times, but it never seems to turn out very good!!! Yours looks sooooo delicious!!!
This looks delicious! We love Asian stir-fry dishes like this. Pinned and tweeted! 🙂