Southwestern Baked Burritos with Cilantro Cream Sauce
This recipe is one of my family’s favorites – and has actually been on the blog for quite some time now. Back in 2012, I posted my family’s version of ‘Southwestern Egg Rolls’ and a separate recipe for ‘Cilantro Cream Sauce’. They are both so super simple & absolutely delicious (sooooo delicious, y’all!). The original recipes are still here on the Mrs Happy Homemaker blog – but it was time for an update.
Usually, I will just update the original post when I take new photos (my photos back in the day were pretty atrocious!) – but this was more than just a photo update. This meal was my late husband’s favorite meal ever, and as my family is nearing up on the 2 year anniversary since he passed away – I thought I would repost it for him.
Mike swore up & down that my Cilantro Cream Sauce is what made this dish and he didn’t understand why I posted the two recipes separately all those years ago. He thought they should be together in one post… so now they are. There’s also a slight name change to the recipe. Mike would never call these Baked Egg Rolls. He said ‘they have tortillas, they aren’t egg rolls – they’re baked burritos!’. So, baked burritos it is.
Both components of this meal are so simple – and the flavors will have you craving this dish all the time. The burrito filling cooks super fast in a skillet, then you just roll it up in tortillas & bake. While the burritos are cooking, throw all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender & puree it up real quick. So easy!
Don’t forget the cilantro cream sauce. Mike was right, it does make this meal. 🙂
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts – diced
- 1 medium-large onion, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14.5)oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2.5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 jalapenos, seeded & minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 10 taco sized flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium. Add in the chicken, season with salt & pepper to taste, & saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the diced onions & cook until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the spices, jalapeno, black beans, corn, & baby spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat, and stir in the pepper jack cheese.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of filling into the center of each taco sized flour tortilla, and roll up like a burrito. Brush each side with a good coating of olive oil, and place in a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crispy.
- Serve with Cilantro Cream Sauce. (recipe follows this)
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 (7oz) can tomatillo sauce or salsa (same thing, different companies label them different)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2-4 jalapenos, seeded (or leave the seeds in for extra heat)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- the juice of half a lime
- Combine all the ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a jar with a tight fitting seal, and refrigerate for up to 1-2 weeks.