BBQ Bacon Potato Salad
‘Tis the season for picnics & backyard barbecues. Isn’t it weird how when summer begins, it’s like our taste buds know it too? The weather starts getting warm, & we all start craving all those foods that feel ‘summery’ to us. Am I right?
You know the kinds of food. Hot dogs, burgers, ribs, corn on the cob, anything with barbecue sauce, & of course the all-time summertime classic – potato salad.
I had a thought the other day…. How fun (and delicious!) would it be to combine two classic warm weather flavors for one perfect side dish? Then, mix that combination with one of my favorite foods ever – bacon! Oh yeah – that’s how this new recipe came to life. BBQ & Bacon Potato Salad!
Are you salivating yet?
As always here on The Mrs – this recipe is super easy. I know how y’all love that ‘cus I do too!
Here’s what you need:
Notice how I’ve already got the potatoes ready to go – and they were SO easy to prep. I use red potatoes not only because I love the flavor, but they’re very convenient. I don’t have to go through all the trouble of peeling and boiling them. I just dice them into about 1″ pieces and put them in a baking dish. (You will need about 4 pounds of red potatoes)
Cover the dish with foil, and bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes until fork tender. Simple as that. You don’t need any butter or oil unless you’d like it for flavor. I usually just give them a little drizzle of olive oil, season with salt & pepper, and toss to combine before baking.
In a large bowl, combine 1¼ cups of mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce, 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, & salt & pepper to taste.
Stir it all together until well combined.
Add in the cooked diced red potatoes, diced celery, diced red onion, & a 2.8oz packet of real bacon bits. You can also use freshly fried bacon, if desired.
Fold it all together to combine.
Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow time for the flavors to marry.
It’s so, so good y’all!
(Scroll to the bottom of the post for the printable recipe)
Now for that giveaway!
I have teamed up with Black Gold Farms this summer for their #SummerFood & #BetterWithReds campaign. Black Gold Farms have been around for some time, over 80 years! They are also family owned, & I absolutely love companies that keep it all in th family like that. You know that a company really has heart & soul in their product when they are multi-generational like Black Gold Farms is. They have come a long way, and are now a leader in their industry – shipping out more than 500 pounds of potatoes a year.
Wowzers – that’s a lot of ‘taters!!
As I said earlier, Summer seems to awaken all those taste buds that want ‘summery’ types of dishes – and it’s the perfect time to gather with friends & family in your backyard, patio, park, or wherever else and enjoy all those delicious foods. Just like this BBQ & Bacon Potato Salad recipe that I’ve shared with you today!
BBQ & Bacon Potato Salad
- 4 pounds of red potatoes unpeeled
- 1¼ cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ chopped fresh parsley
- 2 stalks of celery finely diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 2.8 oz pouch of real bacon bits or sub freshly fired bacon
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped green onions to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Dice the red potatoes into about 1 inch pieces, leaving the skin on. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil (or butter) if desired & season with salt & pepper. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45-60 minutes until fork tender. Set the potatoes aside to cool completely. After cooling slightly, place in the fridge to get cold.
- Once the potatoes are cold, prepare the potato salad. In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, & parsley. Gently fold in the cooked potatoes, celery, red onion, & bacon. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle on the green onions.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving to allow time for the flavors to marry.