Finally, I am getting around to posting this recipe! For those of you on my Facebook Page, you know that I made these cabbage rolls for dinner Thursday night, & had intentions of posting the recipe on the blog on Friday. Well, the Labor Day weekend got the best of me. So, I apologize for taking so long to get this up!
I had bought a head of cabbage at the farmers market last week with the intentions of making coleslaw. Well, my husband doesn’t like coleslaw & my youngest daughter has now decided that she no longer likes it either. So, it would only be myself & my oldest daughter eating it, which equals to half of it going in the garbage. So, I decided to make cabbage rolls, a recipe handed down to me from my grandmother. My whole family ate it up -which is saying a lot if you know my youngest daughter!
First, you will need to peel off about 12 leaves from the head of a cabbage & boil them in a large pot of water for about 3 minutes. Place the blanched cabbage leaves in a colander to drain off excess water.
In a large bowl, mix together 1 pound of raw extra lean ground beef, 1 cup of cooked rice, 1 beaten egg, 1/4 cup milk, 1 diced medium onion, 4 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp garlic salt, 1 tbsp onion powder, & a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Scoop 1/4 cup of the mixture into each of the cabbage rolls, & roll up. Place them in a large baking dish.
For the sauce, you will need to mix together 1 (15oz) can of tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, & 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls. Cover with aluminum foil & bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes.
Remove from the oven – serve & enjoy!!
This cabbage roll recipe has been handed down for generations, it’s delicious!
- 12 leaves cabbage
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 3 minutes; drain.
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about ¼ cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in large baking pan.
- Mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 75 minutes.