Easy Chicken Taco Soup
Serve up this taco soup for dinner this week. A ground chicken taco soup that is loaded with a variety of beans, ranch seasoning, taco sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilis, and more. A simple throw-together dinner that is totally comforting!
Add a dollop of sour cream, tortilla chips, and more on top of the soup in your bowl and dive in. This chicken taco soup is budget-friendly and kid-approved. This is a great taco Tuesday dinner idea for a twist from a classic taco.
Reasons You Will Love This Taco Soup
- Budget-friendly dinner that uses minimal ingredients.
- Easy prep so before you know it your soup is simmering and ready to ladle up.
- Versatile in ingredients you use to change up the flavor of the soup.
- Kid-friendly flavors in each bite. They will love this soup and a great way to get more fiber in their diet.
- This chicken taco soup stores really well and reheats nicely. So if you enjoy meal prepping you will appreciate this recipe.
Ingredients and Variations
Ground Chicken – I used ground chicken for this recipe. You are welcome to swap in ground beef or even ground turkey in replacement.
Taco Seasoning – Reach for any brand of taco seasoning, or make your favorite homemade taco seasoning.
Tomatoes and Rotel – You will use canned tomatoes as well as Rotel. Rotel is diced tomatoes and green chilis mixed together.
Green Chilis – Reach for your preferred heat factor. The chilis add a massive amount of flavor. If you don’t like chilis you can leave them out.
Beans – I wanted to create a blend of beans for this recipe. Pinto, black beans, and ranch-style beans are what I used. Feel free to pick and choose the beans you prefer.
Corn – Drained canned corn is added but you could use fresh corn or even frozen.
Ranch – Ranch dry seasoning is going to really add tons of flavor to this soup as well. It is a simple ingredient but it elevates all the ingredients.
Taco Sauce – The taco sauce is my secret ingredient. It really helps the soup transform into a more flavorful dish. If you don’t have the sauce you could always swap in salsa.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make this easy taco soup are in the printable recipe card. This is a quick walk-through of how it is made.
- On the stovetop cook your ground chicken until crumbled and fully cooked.
- Mix in the taco seasoning to flavor the meat and cook for a few extra minutes.
- Add in the other ingredients. Then cook on low/medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Once done, ladle up into bowls and devour.
Tips for Success
Heavy Duty Pot
I recommend investing in a heavy-duty pot so that when you cook your soup you get an even cook. You will find sometimes thinner pans and pots create hot spots for an uneven cook.
Crock Pot Method
You can even cook this soup in the crockpot. Simply cook the meat and then add in all the other ingredients and cook for 4-6 hours on low.
Now this is a thicker soup. If you want to thin it up a bit, simply add in some chicken stock or a little water to help thin up the soup.
You can store any of the soup you do not eat in the fridge for 3-4 days. Place in a sealed container. Then when you are ready to eat just warm it up on the stovetop or even the microwave.
Now you can also freeze the soup if you want. Just place it in a freezer container. Make sure to leave some room at the top as the soup expands a little as it freezes. Then freeze for 5-6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, and then warm up as you wish.
Of course. Simply leave out the meat and just simmer all the ingredients in a pot for 30 minutes as directed. The beans are a great source of protein.
Shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, and more are all great toppings for this soup. Feel free to add as much or as little on top as you would like.
You just need to make sure you have a large enough pot if you go to double the recipe. But yes, feel free to double the recipe if you plan to serve up a larger crowd.
You can make taco soup a day ahead of when you want to serve it up. You will find the soup sitting in the fridge overnight will add even more flavor to the soup. Just ensure you store it in a sealed container in the fridge. Then warm it up in the stovetop or in a slow cooker.
Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 Pounds Ground chicken Can substitute ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 Taco seasoning packets I like Kinders taco blend
- 28 Oz Can of San Marzano tomatoes Undrained
- 10 Oz Can Rotel tomatoes Undrained
- 7 Oz Can chopped green chiles
- 2 15oz Cans of ranch style beans
- 28 Oz Can of corn Drained
- 15 Oz Can pinto beans Rinsed & drained (optional)
- 15 Oz Can black beans Rinsed & drained (optional)
- 1 Packet Dry ranch dip mix
- 8 Oz Bottle taco sauce
- In a large pot or skillet, sauté the 2 pounds of ground chicken. When cooked through, add in the taco seasoning & cook for another couple of minutes. You can use a different type of taco seasoning, just follow the directions on the back of the packet if it is different – or make your own.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Cook on the stovetop on low/medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. You can also cook this on low in the crockpot for 4 hours.
- The soup is on the thicker side so you can add a little water or chicken broth to thin it out some if desired. Alternatively, you can add a small can of tomato paste to thicken it up more if you want more of a chili consistency.