Pizza Swirl Buns
Pizza is one of those feel good foods that almost everyone likes. What’s not to like? The crust, the sauce, the pepperoni – and of course, the cheese. Everything about it is perfect.
Since it is such a perfect food, how much better would it be if you stuffed the toppings inside of a garlic bread crust? Oh yes – enter the birth of Pizza Swirl Buns. These are like the dinner version of a cinnamon roll… 3rd cousin twice removed – or something like that. But don’t worry, no cinnamon in this. Because cinnamon on pizza would be gross.
Here’s what you need:
If you have a bread machine, pull it out! That’s the easiest method to make the dough for the buns. I love my bread machine – I even have 2 of them. If you don’t have a bread machine, don’t worry. We’re not leaving you out!
Ok, bread machine users – place the ingredients in your machine according to the user manual, which usually calls for liquids first, then seasonings, flour, & then yeast. Set the bread machine on the dough cycle.
If you don’t have a bread machine, there are instructions for you to follow in the printable format at the end of this post 🙂 And, if you want to go an extra easy route, you could always use your favorite kind of refrigerated pizza crust dough – but this homemade dough tastes so much better!
Once your dough is formed, roll it out into a large rectangle. No exact measurements – just about the size of a half sheet pan.
Combine 1 stick of softened butter with 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.
Spread the garlic-y butter over the rolled out dough.
Spread on 1/2 cup of pizza sauce.
Sprinkle on about 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Now, your pepperoni. Or whatever other toppings you enjoy. Be creative!
Roll the deliciousness up lengthwise.
Slice the buns in 1.5-2 inch rounds using a sharp knife.
Spray your baking pan with a little nonstick cooking spray, and place your pizza swirl rolls inside.
Let sit in a draft free location for 30 minutes.
Then, bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Sprinkle on some more mozzarella cheese over top of the baked rolls. I sprinkled on a little Italian seasoning as well. Return to the oven just until the cheese melts into a cheesy tent.
Serve with a dipping cup of pizza sauce.
Pizza Swirl Buns
- For the dough:
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 stick of butter softened
- ¾ cup buttermilk or sub milk
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 package yeast equals to 2¼ teaspoons
- For the pizza swirl:
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ cup pizza sauce plus additional pizza sauce for dipping
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese plus additional cheese for sprinkling
- pepperoni to taste or sub your favorite pizza toppings
- Bread machine: Combine all the dough ingredients in your bread machine in the order as called for in your owner's manual - which is usually liquids first, then seasonings, then flour, & then yeast.
- Stand mixer: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, butter, and buttermilk. Add 2 cups of the flour along with the yeast and salt. Whisk until moistened and combined. Remove the whisk attachment and replace with a dough hook. Add the remaining flour and knead on low speed for 5 minutes. Knead on low speed 5 minutes more or until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead by hand about 30 seconds. Lightly oil a large bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl, lightly oil the top of the dough, cover and let double in volume, 2 to 2½ hours.
- Once your dough is made, roll it out into a large rectangle - about the size of a half sheet baking pan. Combine a stick of softened butter with a tablespoon of garlic powder, and spread the mixture over top of the rolled out dough. Then, spread on your pizza sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese & arrange the pepperoni (or other pizza toppings) on top.
- Roll up lengthwise, and slice into 1½-2 inch rounds. Spray 2 round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, and arrange the pizza rolls inside. They should be very close, but not completely touching.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with your desired amount of mozzarella cheese; return to the oven just til the cheese has melted. You can also sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top, if desired.
- Serve with pizza sauce for your dipping pleasure.