Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork
Slow Cooked SPICY DR PEPPER PULLED PORK – it may sound odd, but trust me… it’s SOOO good! It can be made in your oven OR crockpot.
This right here is my FAVORITE way in the whole wide world to make pulled pork.
Some might think it’s a little odd with the Dr Pepper, but trust me on this… it works. Oh, does it work.
This pork roast slow cooks in it all day.. or almost. About 6 hours. You can use your oven (I use a dutch oven) or your crockpot. I actually prefer my dutch oven because I just love cast iron and think it’s the best thing in the world to cook with. But I’ve also made this many, many times in my crockpot and it turned out just as delicious each & every time.
The results are soooo amazing.
A little spicy, a little sweet – a whole lotta awesome.
It it by itself or do like us & pile it on a hamburger bun. Or serve it on a taco! It’s also reallllyyyyy good on top of my Screaming Pig Nachos.
Spicy Pop Pulled Pork
- 1 whole pork butt (or pork loin or any other kind of pork roast works really)
- 2 large onions, quartered
- salt & pepper
- 2 cans Dr. Pepper
- 11oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or use a 7oz can if you like it less spicy & 2 7oz cans if you like it more spicy)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Generously salt & pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in your covered roaster.
- Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce). Pour in both cans of Dr. Pepper. Add brown sugar to the liquid & stir in.
- Place lid tightly on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for at least 6 hours, turning roast 2-3 times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be falling apart. Use 2 forks to test. If it doesn’t fall apart, return to the oven for an additional hour.
- Remove meat from the pot, and place on a cutting board of other work surface. Use 2 forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can & discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and cook for another 30-60 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can cook this in the crockpot on low for 7-8 hours – shred, then cook another 30 to 60 minutes.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!