Spicy Sausage Creamed Collard Greens
These Sausage Creamed Collard Greens has had even self described green-haters asking me for this recipe. They are delicious!
I’m celebrating a gigantic mom win right now. I got my 9 year old super picky son to eat collard greens (actually he volunteered!) – and he liked them. Not only did he like them, but he asked for a whole bowl of them and ate every single last bite. Then he got seconds!
Yup, I’d definitely call that a mom win!.
The secret? I served him this absolutely deliciously addictive recipe – Spicy Sausage Creamed Collard Greens. My son told me that I had him at spicy 😉
Even folks who don’t like collard greens will inhale this!
I’ve served this to many people who swore up and down that they downright hated collard greens. H-A-T-E-D. One small bite into this, and every. single. one. of. them. got themselves an entire bowl or three.
This dish is magic. It magically makes self described collard green haters be able to now be a collard green lover. We all need more love & less hate in our lives. This recipe may just help spread world peace. 😉
What makes this so good?
And heavy cream
Then there’s the Italian sausage… You can also use breakfast sausage if Italian sausage isn’t quite your thing
Everything combined makes this recipe one that is hard to stop eating.
If you don’t like spice at all, just use a mild sausage. You can omit the chili garlic sauce too (Sriracha) if you like, although the amount called for isn’t enough to give it much heat.
You’ll want to scoop the leftovers on top of scrambled eggs, inside of a burrito, and on top of nachos with some melted cheese. Not that I do any of that (hahahaha, yeah right – I so totally do).
It may not look so pretty, but didn’t your mama teach you to not judge a book by it’s cover?
This recipe is basically for a big ol’ pot of addictive comfort. If you eat the entire batch in one sitting & get a tummy ache, I’m not to blame. 😉
<insert every single adjective that I left out to describe one of the best things you’ll ever put in your mouth here>
Spicy Sausage Creamed Collard Greens
- 4 pounds prewashed & chopped collard greens any stems discarded
- 2 pounds ground hot italian sausage You can also use breakfast sausage
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (Sriracha makes a good one!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the collard greens. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the collards in the boiling water for 2 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl full of ice water immediately. Shock in the ice water, then drain between layers of paper towels - gently pressing to remove the water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, heavy cream, flour, chili garlic sauce, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Place a large pot on medium heat. Add the olive oil. Add the spicy Italian sausage (you can switch out the hot italian sausage to mild if you don't like the heat) & the chopped red onion. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Saute, stirring often, until the sausage is cooked through. Stir in the garlic & cook for another minute.
- Add the cream mixture. Stir in the collard greens, combining well. Cover & cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Serve hot.
You may also like these collard green recipes below!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for your support to help keep this site running!